Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

replaced headlight bulbs today... broke electrical connector

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replaced headlight bulbs today... broke electrical connector

so call me stupid, but i was replacing my headlight bulbs today and when trying to remove the electrical connectors, i broke the clips that let it snap in place when you plug it in. is this a big problem? if so, what should i do to go about replacing/fixing them? now instead of them "snapping" in place, but they just slide in and out. when i check it, it doesn't appear as though it'd come undone... let me know if i should go about replacing these soon.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:25 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

One of mine did that, was really brittle. I just used electrical tape to keep it secure.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:20 PM

bump for anyone knowledgeable
Old 08-21-2011, 08:41 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Well depending on how hard u hit bumps, the light has a possibility of unplugging itself. And driving around without headlights at night is asking for a ticket. Just like the other user said, electrical tape will help. It just won't look professional. You can replace the wiring harness for the light, but not sure if it's really worth the cost. Times r tough, $2 electrical tape works wonders.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by G Diablo
Well depending on how hard u hit bumps, the light has a possibility of unplugging itself. And driving around without headlights at night is asking for a ticket. Just like the other user said, electrical tape will help. It just won't look professional. You can replace the wiring harness for the light, but not sure if it's really worth the cost. Times r tough, $2 electrical tape works wonders.
thanks for the answers... i'll leave it for now, and when i have time i'll go ahead and tape them up and try to secure them a little better. for now they seem just fine
Old 08-21-2011, 10:13 PM

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts

Did the same thing on my truck awhile back, just used electrical tape, and its held for 6 months, no problems at all. No way i'd dish out money for a new base/harness
Old 08-22-2011, 01:37 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Tape will work had to do that on an old brake wiring harness that I transferred from one truck to another and ended up snapping the damn clips... cheap china ****. Anyways if you wanna fix it go to your local junkyard cut the ends of the plugs, and just splice the new plug onto your wires.

Quick Reply: replaced headlight bulbs today... broke electrical connector