Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Replaced battery and still won't start. Only clicking sound near fuse box.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced battery and still won't start. Only clicking sound near fuse box.

I have a 2004 F150 that has been misfiring and been sitting for 3 months. I've replaced the spark plugs, VCT solenoids, cam position sensors, and ruled out the igntion coils and harnesses before it sat. I was only getting two codes. P0022 code and another one meaning it's running lean or rich. I can't remember exactly. I know the main problem is due to the cam phasers and timing so I'm getting that fixed by someone whose done this job plenty of times.

But the problem is I can't drive it to his shop. Last week with the old battery, I jump started and let it charge connected to my work van for 30 minutes then drove it around the block before parking. When I tried to start it again immediately after, it was completely dead. I charged the battery and "reconditioned" it over and over again but still nothing. Lights were dim when I tried to start so I figured it was the battery even though it read at 12.4 volts.

So yesterday I bought a brand new battery, wiped the terminals, and still nothing. Lights don't go dim, but I only hear a single click near the fuse box and by the battery in the corner of the engine bay. I did this several times and eventually could only hear a click in the fuse box.

Any advice is welcomed and appreciated. I just want to get it running and fixed so I can sell this truck. I'm so done with F150s...at least this generation. Btw if anyone is interested, this truck will be for sale soon lol. I live in northern VA.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same thing happened to me. It was the wire from the selniod to the starter. Rebuilt the starter and replaced and started fine. The starter is on passenger side of truck. That is the first thing to check. Rebuild parts were around $35. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
Chipadelphia (01-28-2016)
Old 01-28-2016, 04:14 PM

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Rustj
Same thing happened to me. It was the wire from the selniod to the starter. Rebuilt the starter and replaced and started fine. The starter is on passenger side of truck. That is the first thing to check. Rebuild parts were around $35. Good luck.
What all are you replacing in a starter rebuild?
Old 01-28-2016, 05:17 PM

Had a friend that rebuilt before retiring. He sold me at cost, brushes selniod and something else. Gears were fine.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:16 PM

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Rustj
Had a friend that rebuilt before retiring. He sold me at cost, brushes selniod and something else. Gears were fine.
Nice
Old 01-28-2016, 08:25 PM

Yes helpful. I wander if the op has had any luck with his problem.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry guys, been busy with work and I won't have time to tinker until next Monday. I'm pretty sure it is the starter since it's located right where I was hearing the noise. Looks like I'll probably be in the hole to replace that as well. Can't wait to sell this truck.

Quick Reply: Replaced battery and still won't start. Only clicking sound near fuse box.