Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Replace 2008 5.4L with 2010 5.4L?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace 2008 5.4L with 2010 5.4L?

Hey all, long time lurker first time poster. It seems I have completed the full circle of issues with this truck. First it was the Fuel Module, then the Steering Column Issue, and now dealing with the VCT and Cam Phasers!

So recently at a hot idle my 2008 5.4L 3v F150 with 111K miles began running rough. The first couple times it was when I was backing up a trailer then progressed from there. Dealership is saying I should replace the VCT and quoting 800 bucks to do it, but only saying it is a 65% to 70% success rate. To me that doesn't sound like money very well spent. I also have the distinct tick to the engine so from everything I have read I am guessing the cam phasers are also an issue and the VCT will not fix all my engine ills.

So long story short is I am contemplating replacing the engine over fixing it... or maybe just dumping the truck for a new one, haven't decided yet.

So my question is I am able to find a local 2010 5.4L 3v Flex Fuel engine with 63K on it that came out of a wrecked F150. While the junkyard is saying this engine is not compatible with my truck, my understanding is I change over the fuel rail and Intake and from there it is plug and play. A friend at work actually did this with his son's 2004 by replacing it with a 2009 5.4L 3v. However I am wanting to confirm this and see if anyone else has had similar success.

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:06 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,599 Likes on 6,204 Posts

Why? Just fix yours. The 2010 phasers and timing system are no better than your 2008.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

111miles = 178kms

I just passed 180kms on my 08 supercrew too. I have had hot idle, and creeping forward when its issues. The truck wanted to stall.

What is yours trying to do when its hot? How is it running rough?

1. Your 08 5.4 is a Flex Fuel
2. How old are your plugs / fuel filter ?

My truck is much better after a throttle body clean, it will creep forward / idle/ back up trailers etc without too much of an issue.

I am certain I have original plugs, which will be replaced and throttle body completely removed and cleaned, along with a new air filter all at the same time.

SO TRY the throttle body clean, see if that helps. i
Old 07-08-2016, 03:59 PM

In 2008 they made both the Flex Fuel and non Flex, mine is the non Flex Fuel version.

When I say running rough it sounds like its about to die and throw parts out the side of the motor and is shaking the truck. I am fairly positive it is the VCT Solenoid/Cam Phasers, as this is the diagnosis of the dealership and from my research on here and other sites. The cost to rebuild the timing components is nearly equal to that of replacing the engine, hence why I am also weighing that option.
Old 07-08-2016, 04:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by brownie9582
In 2008 they made both the Flex Fuel and non Flex, mine is the non Flex Fuel version.

When I say running rough it sounds like its about to die and throw parts out the side of the motor and is shaking the truck. I am fairly positive it is the VCT Solenoid/Cam Phasers, as this is the diagnosis of the dealership and from my research on here and other sites. The cost to rebuild the timing components is nearly equal to that of replacing the engine, hence why I am also weighing that option.

OK! so my 5.4 did the same things, sounded horrible...shutted and shook like crazy.

Cleaned out the Throttle body and the back of the blade.
Did a quick clean with the intake tube off and its better. Just used throttle body cleaner and shop towels. (Do not mess with the MAF sensor)

After a few drives - its sooo much better! I am assuming the fly by wire / servo motor kept compensating for the carbon over its life.

Try it - its a simple thing, that would cost less than $10 in supplies and 1 hour of your time.

(There is still carbon on the back of the TB's, but I have to remove the TB's to get to it)

If the VCT's are gone...they are gone, but doesn't hurt to clean out the TB's.
Old 07-08-2016, 04:44 PM
TOTM November 2019

Originally Posted by brownie9582

Cost may be equal, but have you ever pulled an 04-08 engine? Not a simple chore.
Old 07-08-2016, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Summers22
Cost may be equal, but have you ever pulled an 04-08 engine? Not a simple chore.
Gotta disagree there. I've pulled A LOT of engines. The 5.4 is a cake walk. I was out in 4 hours with the help of a friend. Cost of rebuild is always cheaper then to replace. However if you do replace I suggest getting a reman with a warranty. At least I would for now, I'm still waiting for mine to arrive. However unless your getting the engine super cheap, for another $500 bucks you get a fresh rebuild with a 4 year unlimited mile warranty that covers internal parts too.

I wouldn't jump on replacing it till you get it out. Pull the covers. If everything is in good shape replace the cheap stuff and keep your block. The only reason I'm replacing mine is timing cover shavings killed the bottom bearings.

Last edited by RCFX4x4; 07-08-2016 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:54 AM
TOTM November 2019

Out in 4 hours, how long to swap the stuff he needs to and then re-install? No thanks, but I would do as you say, new engine If I am pulling it in the first place.

Quick Reply: Replace 2008 5.4L with 2010 5.4L?