Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Repainted chipped/pitted/rusty front bumper

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 05:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Repainted chipped/pitted/rusty front bumper

I've had my truck for a couple of months now and so far I love it. However, one thing that I really didn't like was how my front bumper looked like a teenagers' acne covered face. So today I decided to do some painting...

I used one whole can each of Duplicolor Perfect Match Primer, Paint, and Clear Coat. 80 grit sandpaper was used to sand off the old paint and rust I could manage to remove. 600 grit sandpaper was used to sand any imperfections in the primer.

Note: This was the first time I've ever painted bodywork and there was a buttload of rust, so it's not perfect but it was a good learning experience for me.

What I started with

Before (first sanding was already done)

After

Before (again, the first sanding was already done)

After

Colour match between the bumper, which is the Duplicolor paint and the fender trim, which is the original factory Arizona Beige

For $75 I'd say it was money well spent and although not perfect (there was too much rust for it to be) it looks much better now. For those of you who would like to do this, grab an extra can of clear coat, one can was kind of pushing it. As well, I used a painting gun from 3M that holds the spray can... makes it way easier to have consistent spraying. Also don't forget beer

Quick Reply: Repainted chipped/pitted/rusty front bumper