Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

removing cats

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 07:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default removing cats

i know there are a million threads about this but im gonna start another one lol

my truck has 165k miles on it and im pretty sure the cats are original, it has an aftermarket si/do muffler, k&n drop in and as of today its tunedl by an edge evolution. i need to do something with the cats because they are obviously clogged or atleast very close, they have a noticable yellow tint to them (sign of a clogged cat) and the truck doesnt run to its full potential, is it going to hurt my power/ mileage to cut them off? or will it benefit? i know its illegal but i realy dont have to worry about it in my area plus i dont plan on leaving it that way forever, money is tight right now so i dont wanna spend the extra on buying cats i dont need.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:28 PM
Ian_T_S

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I cut off the 2 rear cats and havent had any issues with the truck, i also installed headers and notice a slight gain in the MPG and sounds a lot better! but when its cold you get a little "popping" sound at higher RPM but im told that, that will go away with an after market muffler..
Old 09-01-2010, 11:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking of cutting mine off too. Does the check engine light come on when cutting the back 2 off?
Old 09-02-2010, 03:17 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Be prepared for a hefty fine if/when you get caught. It's against FEDERAL law to remove the cats. Even if your local police do not care, federal law prohibits their removal. You cannot sell the vehicle or trade it in without the cats installed.

If money is tight for you now, wait until you get caught and have to pay the fine.

Good luck.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Bucko
Be prepared for a hefty fine if/when you get caught. It's against FEDERAL law to remove the cats. Even if your local police do not care, federal law prohibits their removal. You cannot sell the vehicle or trade it in without the cats installed.

If money is tight for you now, wait until you get caught and have to pay the fine.

Good luck.
Yes i can, even a dealer can sell one without cats but it has to be disclosed to the buyer. this is an area im very knowledgeable in since im in the car business.

and as for the federal law thing, the cats are still going to be there just the internals will be missing, so they cant fine me, all they can do is give me a "fix-it" ticket and check back on it after a certain time
Old 09-02-2010, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by baddkarmaracing
Yes i can, even a dealer can sell one without cats but it has to be disclosed to the buyer. this is an area im very knowledgeable in since im in the car business.

and as for the federal law thing, the cats are still going to be there just the internals will be missing, so they cant fine me, all they can do is give me a "fix-it" ticket and check back on it after a certain time
yeah son

your truck will smell better too
Old 09-03-2010, 05:13 AM
Goombah Stomper

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

gotta love the smell of burning fuel in the morning
Old 09-04-2010, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by JorgeRod54
gotta love the smell of burning fuel in the morning
yes i do
Old 09-04-2010, 12:11 PM