Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Remote start install on an 05?

Old 01-10-2015, 09:47 PM
Proud F150 Owner!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Remote start install on an 05?

I'm guessing it's possible to have remote start installed on my 05? Would it have to be done by Ford? Anyone have it done and know about how much it would cost?
Old 01-10-2015, 11:17 PM

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

You can install it yourself. You can buy units that come with very good instructions.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FStorm150
I'm guessing it's possible to have remote start installed on my 05? Would it have to be done by Ford? Anyone have it done and know about how much it would cost?

Yes, My 05 has remote start. No idea what brand. I bought it used and it was already installed.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:42 AM

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by FStorm150
Best Buy could probably do it, not all stores do installations. Are there any local electronics shop that do installs?
I just had a remote start put in an 08 Impreza for about $300 installed-Not at Best Buy though..
Old 01-11-2015, 09:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 2nd150

Best Buy could probably do it, not all stores do installations. Are there any local electronics shop that do installs?
I just had a remote start put in an 08 Impreza for about $300 installed-Not at Best Buy though..
Go with a local audio store,not the big box stores. Around here the kids that install at best buy used to be cashier's. Then they watch a video or 2 and are promoted to installer. I don't trust that one bit. I paid $50 more at a custom shop near me but it was done right the first time.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:46 AM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,579 Likes on 6,196 Posts

I agree, stay away from Best Buy. Go to a actual audio shop, they almost always will do remote starts. I know a guy in Kansas City that does it for $200 installed with a separate fob, or he will reuse the factory fob for another $50. It will then start when you hit the unlock 3 times in 5 seconds.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:33 AM

Received 63 Likes on 60 Posts

Also agree! I've seen several mistakes by cheap shops:

- Lack of soldering - especially on high load wires. Risk of a fire. They say many vehicle fires are a result of incorrectly installed accessories. Poor solder job, high resistance if high load, chance of a fire. Also I've seen shops T-Tap.
- No hoodpin even though half of them corrode anyways LOL - I use different methods for open hood detection. This allows safety in case you accidentally remote start while working under the hood or for alarm detection.
- Lack of tachometer wire - how many people are next to their vehicle when they remote start? not many? If you wonder why you're chewing up starters, this is one reason. Also tach start speed should be set when vehicle is warm and at low idle. There are other methods such as modes like Virtual Tach or Alternator Sensing on many units. The problem is if the voltage doesn't satisfy the unit, it doesn't believe it's running. I use tach wire so it KNOWS it's running. Even new vehicles with smart-start, I still add it.
- Constant bypass power - this is usually on older systems that aren't using data from the remote start. Basically many installers wire them to permanent 12V which throws your chipped key bypass out the window and allows anyone to hotwire/steal your vehicle very easily. Also if anything goes wrong, it can prevent your remote starter and key from starting the vehicle forcing you to be towed (or pull the bypass if you know).

Just my thoughts. It's no different than any other install though, not difficult. The newer vehicles are coming with plug and play and the GM's have a factory install (with limited range though and one-way). The only downfall of having someone else install is the cost is usually higher.

Remember, Best Buy's goal is, get the vehicle in and get the vehicle out. They don't pay their tech's a lot, and they don't charge a lot for the install. I've seen a few vehicles done by Future Shop and Best Buy here, some have worked ok, some have been so so. I just fixed one as it'd start then shutoff 3 times. They didn't use the tach wire and the remote starter unit couldn't properly detect the engine running. We added the tach wire, the problem was solved.

As Summer22 mentioned, some of them will add the unit so you can use the factory FOB. Typically what they do is they take the remote start unit and use the "Remote Start Input" line and tie it to the door locks. They set it to 2 locks usually so you double press the lock button and your vehicle starts.

I've installed a significant number and I've gone beyond such as adding in so that my aftermarket radio doesn't turn on during remote start. The reason being is if I'm in range of my cell phone, calls ring on the deck... or vice-versa, if I'm out of range when I start, my phone wouldn't connect with Bluetooth. Now it works everytime, that and music isn't playing all of the time. I also added in other features such as turning my outside like on for 2 minutes so I can load my quad at night. I did all of the wiring though so the cost wasn't a big deal (just time).

Hope this helps

Last edited by homer; 01-12-2015 at 12:36 AM.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:25 AM

Received 87 Likes on 80 Posts

My local shop installs the same low end remote starters that Best Buy does for a bit cheaper. Got my dads put in his 07 for $250-300 installed. They also stand behind their product and warranty it and will answer any questions you have after the install.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:30 AM
Proud F150 Owner!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks guys. What's the difference between one directional and two directional?
Old 01-12-2015, 11:59 AM

Received 63 Likes on 60 Posts

You mean one way and two way? Two way, the vehicle talks back to your remote. So when you press lock or unlock, the vehicle remote start unit confirms it happened. It also pages your remote after the vehicle has successfully started.

Many manufacturers sells either basic two way remotes or two way lcds.

Basically it's two way communication. The big advantage is it tells you the vehicle started. Alarms, it'll page you if the alarm goes off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Remote start install on an 05?