Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

In regards to the Keep Alive Memory (KAM)

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 12:34 PM

Location: From Guam, But in San Antonio, Texas for Injuries Sustained in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry In regards to the Keep Alive Memory (KAM)

Hello all,
I have a 2008 Ford F-150 5.4L 3V FX4 SCREW. I had the following trouble codes pop up;
P0300
P0302
P0306
P0307
P0316
P1000

The trouble codes came back even after I changed all 8 plugs, COPs, and Boots. I also did an oil change at the same time since it was due for one.

I have read and was told by several different people and posts that "resetting" the Keep Alive Memory (KAM) may be able to solve the issue of the codes from popping up again.

My question is where is the KAM located and how would I go about "resetting" it? Or did I just get smoke blown up my rear end?

I apologize for the long post and explanation, but this is really starting to **** me off and the truck is my only mode of transportation at the moment.

Thank you in advance for those who comment and I appreciate the help.

Have a nice day.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:39 PM

Location: From Guam, But in San Antonio, Texas for Injuries Sustained in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Also, I forgot to add that the truck idles rough when sitting in traffic or waiting at a traffic light.

The truck stutters or bucks between the speeds of 40 - 50 mph and then again at 60 - 70+ mph as well.
When I disengage the OverDrive (OD) the stuttering and shaking stops, but then comes while driving.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:48 AM
LightningRod

Received 643 Likes on 514 Posts

I am surprised no member has come to the aid of our fellow member on your very direct question:
Originally Posted by LEN671
... My question is where is the KAM located and how would I go about "resetting" it? Or did I just get smoke blown up my rear end? ...
Your ECU has three types or isolated areas of memory. One is EPROM that we don't need to be concerned with cause we can't reset it (for stuff like VIN#, Make, current odometer reading, factory default calibration parameters and so forth).

The second is kept alive only by "ignition ON" power (like the radio), an it goes away every time we shut off the switch.

the third "KAM" is RAM type memory powered directly from battery power - probably with some fairly robust capacitor to maintain it momentarily. Just momentarily disconnecting the battery may or may not erase its contents (such as short term and long term fuel trim tables - learned calibrations of certain sensors, learned driver preferences / driving habits and a host of other stuff we can't even imagine. So its not just SMOKE.

To make "sure" it gets reset, I believe it is a good idea to disconnect the battery for a good bit of time (several minutes) and at the same time activate some electrical circuit that draws juice - such as the headlights to insure its bleed down completely. Then perform what they call the "relearn" process to assist the ECU in quickly reconstructing its learned control parameters again from present sensors.

I also believe this procedure should be done anytime new sensors are installed or any significant repair work is done, so the ECU is not shifting its control parameters based upon stored values that are potentially very different values generated by the new parts. And YES, for this reason, it can make a difference in codes that come up - or don't come up.
The following users liked this post:
LEN671 (04-01-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 10:59 AM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LEN671
Also, I forgot to add that the truck idles rough when sitting in traffic or waiting at a traffic light.

The truck stutters or bucks between the speeds of 40 - 50 mph and then again at 60 - 70+ mph as well.
When I disengage the OverDrive (OD) the stuttering and shaking stops, but then comes while driving.
Still sounds like a COP/Plug issue....did you use die electric grease on the COP boots?
Old 04-01-2015, 03:00 AM

First off, thank you F150Torqued for your response to my thread and question. I really appreciate the advice sir.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:04 AM

To answer your question, I did not do the tune-up and oil change myself. I had a shop do it for me because at that point in time I had reconstructive surgery scheduled, and I was not able to "use" my hands so to speak.

But, I will definitely look into that as well. Thank you for your response as well.

Originally Posted by bwFX42006
Still sounds like a COP/Plug issue....did you use die electric grease on the COP boots?

Quick Reply: In regards to the Keep Alive Memory (KAM)