Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Reflash?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reflash?

I have a 2004 f150 5.4 I was wondering if I should go and have the computer reflashed, if this would help anything. Does anyone know what this would run at the stealer?
Old 04-22-2009, 08:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

there is no reason for doing a reflash unless you need too!!
Old 04-22-2009, 08:41 PM

Well I was driving down the highway and my truck started searching for gears, and then it died when i pulled up to a stoplight. I had the cruise set when it started shifting gears like crazy, when it died I started it right back up with no problem. I havnt used the cruise since in fear that somthing will go wrong, any ideas?
Old 04-23-2009, 11:13 AM

i have heard before that dealers get new ecu flashes, maps, tunes, whatever, on a regular basis for the majority of their vehicles. that being said it makes sense that on a vehicle as popular as the f150 they would tweak and tune as new data and information come in from owners and as they see problems.

has anyone else heard of or experienced this?
Old 04-23-2009, 03:06 PM

i know its not an f-150 but my dads f-350 had the computer reflashed a few times because of programing errors. it was a diesel but maybe the dealership would do the same if the vehicle is still under warranty.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:49 AM

yeah, it probably wouldnt hurt to call the dealership and ask....i read somewhere else that a guy brought his truck in, they updated his flash, and the truck felt totally different...
Old 04-24-2009, 12:51 PM
emtzach

just beware reflashing if u have a lot of mods will hurt the biggest reason for the reflashes is our current gas "CRISIS" so they say even tho exxon profited more than microsoft last year..... sorry off base anyway they are trying to squeek out a few more miles so it will affect shift points, top speed alowed, ignition timing, spark curv and some times mess with your speedo so that u think ure driving faster than u really are, like i said just be carfull the dealership cant put it back
Old 04-24-2009, 01:43 PM
none.

Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by emtzach
just beware reflashing if u have a lot of mods will hurt the biggest reason for the reflashes is our current gas "CRISIS" so they say even tho exxon profited more than microsoft last year..... sorry off base anyway they are trying to squeek out a few more miles so it will affect shift points, top speed alowed, ignition timing, spark curv and some times mess with your speedo so that u think ure driving faster than u really are, like i said just be carfull the dealership cant put it back

that made absolutely no sense. EEC reflashes can be done many times and can be done by the dealer which will revert the EEC to a factory setting OR the EEC may be reflashed with a programmer like the SCT Xcal3 in my truck...which by the way was flashed to the tune I purchased, returned to stock when the truck went in for B Service and returned to the custom tune after I left the dealership.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:50 PM
emtzach

yes ure after market controller can be set back and forth which is piggy backing the stock ecu but the ecu is set to the latest update that ford puts out month by month after they set those perameters ure stuck with it until another comes out. i worked for Ford and found this out after a customer came back complaining that his mustang woulnt go over 98 mph after he had the TSB/recall done that was a 98 gt serviced in 2000 if its changed then thats news to me. Im just putting out info i have experience first hand
Old 04-24-2009, 04:32 PM
none.

Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by emtzach
yes ure after market controller can be set back and forth which is piggy backing the stock ecu but the ecu is set to the latest update that ford puts out month by month after they set those perameters ure stuck with it until another comes out. i worked for Ford and found this out after a customer came back complaining that his mustang woulnt go over 98 mph after he had the TSB/recall done that was a 98 gt serviced in 2000 if its changed then thats news to me. Im just putting out info i have experience first hand

that is incorrect, my tune is not piggybacked, the eec is reflashed by the xcal. It doesnt matter what the dealer does with the programming, it WILL be changed and the EEC will be reflashed if I use my programmer. The factory settings are saved within my flash device. The EEC is only to be reflashed by the service dept with authorization by the customer.

The issue at hand is that the original poster asked a very vague question to which he wasnt entirely sure what to ask. Your comments about economy and exxon have absolutely nothing to do with reflashing the EEC at the dealership.

Quick Reply: Reflash?