Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Recon lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 09:35 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Recon lights not working

I'm not bashing or anything like that, but I just want to find out from fellow members if this is a common thing. I just received my 3rd brake light from Recon and after a lot of cussing and raised blood pressure during the install, the top row of LEDs on the driver side cargo light is not working. Just wondering how often members have to send these lights back. And I'll let you guys know if and when this issue is resolved. I really do like the way the brake light looks and if all of the lights worked, I would be ecstatic.

And another thing, getting those clips pushed through the sheet metal is a PITA. And for those that plan on doing this, not sure about the other years, but on my 2006 I had to push 2 clips in.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:12 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Mine completely went out after about a yr. And of course it was out of warranty I ended up taking it apart and put cree led strips in it.works great and a lot brighter now. From what I've read on different forums it's hit or miss just like with almost everything anymore
Old 12-28-2013, 08:32 AM

Cool, well I sent an email last night right before I made this post, and received an email from Heath L. It stated that it should be no problem and that I should call Customer Support on Monday to have this issue fixed. At least they responded quickly and willing to remedy the situation.
So how did u wire those Cree LEDs in, would like to do that when these lights go.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:11 PM

I went to check on my lights this morning, and surprising all of the lights are working. Not sure if I should swap them out or just keep these. I'm adding a pic from last night when they were not working. I'm not an electrical person by any means but not sure why they weren't working last night, but finally working today. Maybe driving the truck around and hitting a couple of bump jostled something into place or what.

Name:  image-1479964743.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  50.4 KB

As u can tell the driver's side is dimmer than the passenger. Any insight would be much obliged.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:20 AM

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by G Diablo
I went to check on my lights this morning, and surprising all of the lights are working. Not sure if I should swap them out or just keep these. I'm adding a pic from last night when they were not working. I'm not an electrical person by any means but not sure why they weren't working last night, but finally working today. Maybe driving the truck around and hitting a couple of bump jostled something into place or what. As u can tell the driver's side is dimmer than the passenger. Any insight would be much obliged.
I would still swap, seems like they are on the way out.... Or have a loose connection somewhere that you will always be fighting..... My recon lights did the same and eventually quit working.....
The following users liked this post:
G Diablo (12-29-2013)
Old 12-29-2013, 11:45 AM

Yeah I'm gonna switch it out, the lights went out again. Kinda wish I could make these lights more "bulletproof".
Old 12-31-2013, 01:34 PM

Hey Diesel,
How did u redo the lights on the brake light? They are sending me a new set but not asking for the faulty set to be sent back. I'd like to change out the lights if possible that way I have a backup set for when the new set goes out. Thanks

Diablo
Old 12-31-2013, 11:14 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

It's real easy man just separate it like u would a head light.. There is two wires connected to the old led which will get soldered to the new led.. and reseal took me maybe a hour.. I'll check and see if I still have pics on my laptop if I do I'll post them for u. If you run into any problems send me a message and I'll walk you through it
The following users liked this post:
G Diablo (01-01-2014)
Old 01-19-2014, 07:53 PM

Well, finally got to puttin on the new set of Recon lights. The worst thing about this whole situation is, the factory set had a gasket leak, the first set of Recon lights had a faulty cargo light, and the new set they sent did not have the foam gasket. I'm at the point of not recommending Recons to anybody. I hope that other people have had better experience with them. Considering that the Recons were inexpensive and they sent me a free replacement I really shouldn't complain too much. I went to Lowe's and bought some automotive weatherstrip to seal them up. Hopefully it lasts
Old 01-19-2014, 07:58 PM

Received 158 Likes on 131 Posts

Well recon is a horrible company to deal with I have a white lightning lailgate bar and it stopped working after 1 month the shop I got it from is 750miles away. And they would do nothing. They told me that I was out of luck even though I was within there 90 day warranty. I will never buy a recon product again and tell everybody the same!

Quick Reply: Recon lights not working