Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Recent experience with Auto Anything and Power Stop Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 08:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Recent experience with Auto Anything and Power Stop Brakes

Wanted to share my recent experience with Auto Anything and Power Stop

My 2WD STX needed new front pads and rotors. I was not interested in converting to the 4WD style, so I sought out a quality set of brakes for the front. I drive alot, have clocked 125,000 miles in 2 years so I wanted something that was higher quality than the Napa or Raybestos stuff, but was not interested in drilled and slotted HP stuff either. Would be a waste.

After much research, I decided to go with the OEK set from Power Stop- They came highly recommended, and came with a nice set of Ceramic Pads, which hopefully would keep the brake dust down.

So I ordered through Auto Anything - and while it took two weeks to get them, got them and had them installed pretty quickly. I did it all the way you are supposed to, lubed all slides and contact points, cleaned off the WSS's and torqued the new spindle nuts to the proper spec.

On the initial test drive, something was not right. ABS kept kicking in, the light would come back on, go back off, would never stay on long enough for me to grab a code. I unplugged the sensors and hooked up my meter, while spinning the wheel/tire, I was getting readings within the recommended range. The more I drove, sharp left turns resulted in the ABS engaging. While it suggests the left side, there was no way to confirm as in turning either direction, the wheels speeds are different, so technically, it should act up either way, but it wasn't.

I called Power Stop first, explaining everything to Ishmael, the warranty manager. He explained I would need to go through Auto Anything, as I purchased the set from them. So i Did. Called AA - the guy said he would need to call Power Stop and arrange the warranty replacement and that I would receive a call back.

Didn't hear anything for a day, so I called back, and was told Power Stop was refusing to send out new rotors until they got the first set back. I explained the rotors were on my truck, the old rotors were tossed as they were too thin, and it was not possible to have my truck down waiting for rotors. AA just continued to blame PStop - refused to do anything. Said it was not their fault, and just kept passing the buck off.

Back I go to PS- talked to Ishmael again who apologizes, and says he will send out a new set of rotors. Problem is though, is that I have to pay almost $50.00 for shipping of the rotors, AND pay a $100.00 deposit on the new rotors, which will be refunded when they get the first set back. Obviously I wasn't happy, but I need brakes so whatever. Of course I then had to buy another set of spindle nuts, as they are no reuse nuts, so I ended up having to pay an additional 75.00 for a set of rotors that were faulty from the manufacturer.

First- Ford had a really crappy design on these rotors, no question there, but Auto Anything's actions were deplorable. PStop in no way was demanding the originals back first, and while it sucks, I understand the need for a security deposit, but at the end of the day, I installed them properly, I did the proper diagnosis per the Ford Technical Manual, and in no way caused the problem. I'm a L1 certified tech, its not like I am some 15 year old kit putting his first set of brakes on. My thanks for patronage was getting charged extra for the convenience of being inconvenienced.

While I would still consider using PStop brakes, as mistakes are going to happen, I would never in a million years consider using Auto Anything again. Their reps refused to handle the situation as they should have, considering I purchased through them, and the fact their only reply was, "Oh, its Power Stop, not us, we aren't willing to incur the cost of the new rotors and spindle nuts, its Power Stop."

Way to stand behind your sale AA. I have already contacted the BBB regarding this. No customer deserves to be treated in this way. Just wanted to share so others didn't get taken like I did.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jdcrae:
Deanjet (08-21-2014), Prof (05-08-2014), SLAYER-F150 (05-08-2014)
Old 05-08-2014, 11:32 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the heads up, that's a seriously unfortunate situation...might I ask where u found the specs on the abs sensors? Did u ohm them out or spin the wheel looking for AC?
Old 05-08-2014, 11:44 AM

I printed out a page from the tech manual. Set on 2k ohms I was looking for 325 to 478 if I recall. That was while spinning the wheel.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:51 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Was this out of the ford tech manual? If so how did u get your hands on it?
Old 05-08-2014, 12:01 PM

It was. A buddy of mine printed it for me. May have tossed it but I will try to get another copy to verify
Old 05-09-2014, 06:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you get the new brakes on yet and is all well?

I have made two purchases through AutoAnything recently and they will likely be my last unless I have no other choices. In both cases, the processing and shipping time was too long. There are plenty of other companies. I did call AA and they basically said, sorry but we ship most things from the manufacturer.

In one recent case, I ordered a windshield deflector for my f150 truck. Isn't this the most popular vehicle in the US and the most popular truck? They told me they don't stock and ship direct from the vendor, them because there are so many models.... I get that but this is the most popular truck, why would they not stock at least their best sellers. I did not get a shipping notice for about a week. In today's world that is too long unless it is truly some that is custom or rare.

I could have ordered the same item from Amazon and got it in a few days but I had a coupon with AA.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:32 AM

Yes the new rotors are perfect. Got out the mic before I boxed the old ones and found .004 difference, bearing was pressed in too far.

Yeah I agree. AA seems to arrange sales for companies, instead of actually stocking parts and shipping them. They are just a middleman, and in my opinion, a ****ty one at that
Old 05-09-2014, 12:52 PM

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

Default Auto Anything

Guys,

I had good luck with Power Stop Rotors before on 2 other cars and bought a set for my current car.

For some reason they were noisy and rough, I was not pleased. To make matters worse they cost more than standard rotors.

After about 45 days I called AA to ask about what they could do and the answer was nothing. I found it unbelievable after the good treatment off of Ebay or Amazon when I have issues.

So they made it easy.......never again will I buy from them.

QR
Old 05-09-2014, 03:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am suprised to hear this. I have made more than a dozen purchases from AA and never had a bad experience even when returning a product. In fact the longest wait time I ever had was about 5 days and sometimes I received the product next day.

Quick Reply: Recent experience with Auto Anything and Power Stop Brakes