Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Rebuilt Altenator problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 10:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Rebuilt Altenator problems

So I have a 2006 King Ranch and recently my altenator finally gave out at 225,000 km it had previously started to make noise on really cold days and over christmas it sat for 10 days while I was on holidays ..came back and the battery was dead...got a boost went to canadian tire got a new battery and all was good until 3-4 days later (really cold) lights started dimming then getting bright and started getting check charging system alarm on the dash along with the RED battery light coming on. Went to the dealer and because I knew that the alt was probably bad because of its cold day noises I asked them to just put a new one in...( I said new they thought rebuilt??? turns out they dont make new for that year truck anymore only rebuilt) so anyways next day on the way to work check charging system light came on again contacted dealer brought it back in they said alt was good battery was good....left and same thing check charging system contacted again this time they replaced the alt and this lasted 1 week before I got that dreaded check charging system light again....OKOK I know its a long one..but here's my question...should I just pull the altenator and get the altenator regbuilt with a better PCM and voltage regulator instead of what these rebuilts have...tired of screwing around with this...anybody with any experience with this??? Could it be the battery??? I didnt pay the lowest price but certainly not the highest. any input would be greatly appreciated
Old 02-26-2014, 01:36 PM
poopin.....on this thread

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Have heard similar problems people have had with replaced/rebuit alternators. I would take it back and tell them to put another "new/rebuilt" one one and see what it does.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Similar Alternator issues

So I too have been having issues with alternator replacements. It began with a screeching noise for a few days and then the alternator gave up and my car would die while driving. After the dealer replaced the alternator, about two weeks later my truck would need jump starts to get going. They replaced that alternator and then a little over week goes by and the battery light comes on and never goes away. It takes a few visits until they actually replace the alternator again. 3 weeks later, now my truck is screeching again just like before the first alternator replacement. I waiting for Monday so I can bring my truck back to get a new alternator again. Thankfully, the damned thing is still warranted.

Anyone able to shed some light as to why this issue is reoccurring? I've asked them to check my idle to see if it's normal and also to check for any possible shorts in the electrical system. Thanks for any replies.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This could actually be a battery problem. If it was cold enough and the battery froze solid it could have been damaged internally, causing the alternator to work constantly. Or this could be a bad connection between your alternator and your battery again causing the alternator to either be going full field or over working. If possible I would check your battery cable terminals to make sure they are tight and aren't corroded and possible do a voltage drop test from your alternator to your battery. To be honest a rebuilt alternator isn't much different then a brand new one.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:21 PM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

anybody ever check grounds and cables...

Quick Reply: Rebuilt Altenator problems