Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

rear view mirror

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 11:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default rear view mirror

I have a Pontiac grand prix that I am giving to my 16 year old. It has an auto dimming mirror. I really miss that when driving my truck. I have a 06 XLT. I have the compass and thermometer in the odometer area. I have looked at the gentex site and can't determine if I have the necessary wiring already in place (which is a must) and which one I would buy. I already have the temp and compass in the dash. I have messaged the MFG but didn't get a message back. Perhaps my spam filter got the message and discarded it. Does anybody know which one or ones would fit without extra wiring. Is there a way for me to tell if it would be plug and play. Obviously home link would be cool but not necessary.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:33 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

I bought one off of Ebay about 9 months ago. It had the built in compass and auto dimmer feature, and I paid $89.00 for it. It required me to run the power and ground for it (my 2005 STX did not have the compass feature).

You will have to run the wiring I'd think, as the aftermarket units don't simply "plug" into the wiring that is at the rear view mirror base. It is a simple power and ground lead. Piece of cake to connect.

It was simple to run this behind the headliner, down the passender A-pillar post, and tap into a ignition source hot lead at the fuse panel.

You CAREFULLY pry (on the side of the rear view mirror at the base of the windshield), and the stock mirror comes off the metal plate attached to the windshield glass. The new one slides onto this stock metal plate , and you tighten down the set screw.

You can also pay more and get outside temp, and "home link" that will work with auto garage door openers. Since you already have the compass and temp(?) feature, you would not need an aftermarket mirror with these, but I know the compass module IS behind the stock mirror, so removing the mirror may also remove this module(?). That will be the issue for you to verify that compass module mounting. I can check tonight the brand name unit I bought (I still have the instructions on how to calibrate the built in compass).

I did always think it was a poor design for Ford to put the compass and temp display in the instrament cluster; it forces you to have to look down rather then easily looking at the rear view mirror display (better IMO).

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 09-22-2009 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Mirror

Here's a fyi in case you have the metal mount on the windshield come loose taking off the mirror. Had this on my T-bird so that's my reference. The mirror slides up to remove it from the mount, though it was tight, no catches - just a slip fit. If you have to reattach the mount to the glass, don't bother with the dealer. Go to Napa, they sell a tube of special adhesive for this. Clean up the glass and back of the mount, apply the lube and tape it tightly to the glass till the adhesive sets up. I don't think it takes that long, but I left mine overnight to be safe. Remove the tape and slide the mirror onto the mount, you're done.

I think it cost something like $5 - $10 for it that time and that's been at least 5 yrs and still holding strong.

Paul

PS mine came off while sitting in a parking lot in the summer sun so heat must weaken or loosen the original adhesive. Haven't had any indication of problems since it was reattached.

Quick Reply: rear view mirror