Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Rear view camera and Pioneer AVH3400BT Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 09:41 AM

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Rear view camera and Pioneer AVH3400BT Problems

I installed a $20 camera that I got off amazon and now my head unit keeps reverting back to a blank reverse camera screen on start up and I have to hold the mute button to get it out of it. It also keeps switching to the blank camera screen every 10 seconds with the camera setting on. With it off it only does it at start up. Never had any problems like this until the camera. It works perfect every time I go into reverse. As for the install, I tied my camera into the pos and ground at the reverse light and ran the trigger wire to the reverse light pos as well. Thinking I am going to move this into the cab and tap into the reverse fuse instead. Now I have LED's for revers bulbs, not sure if this is the problem or not. I have also tried changing the camera polarity to all settings and this still occurs. Any help is much appreciated.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:55 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a similar situation with the same setup, $20 cam with a Pioneer AVH unit. I wired to the reverse signal (driver side floor panel wiring harness) as well for both power and signal. I tested the pink/black wire with a signal light, it only had signal in reverse. But for some reason, the camera comes on when the stereo starts up every time and I have to x out of it. And it doesn't switch to cam in reverse. I got fed up, and found that if I changed the polarity setting, it will only come on if I switch to it manually. I've left mine in this state because I found that I didn't really like the backup cam for regular old backing up. I just wanted it for hitching up, which works like a charm. I'll monitor this thread, hopefully someone sets us straight.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Bobby Lane
I have a similar situation with the same setup, $20 cam with a Pioneer AVH unit. I wired to the reverse signal (driver side floor panel wiring harness) as well for both power and signal. I tested the pink/black wire with a signal light, it only had signal in reverse. But for some reason, the camera comes on when the stereo starts up every time and I have to x out of it. And it doesn't switch to cam in reverse. I got fed up, and found that if I changed the polarity setting, it will only come on if I switch to it manually. I've left mine in this state because I found that I didn't really like the backup cam for regular old backing up. I just wanted it for hitching up, which works like a charm. I'll monitor this thread, hopefully someone sets us straight.
I only use mine for hitching up or tight parking spots that have a car or something close behind. Other than that I use my mirrors. I just want the damn thing to work correctly and not have to spend time manually turning it on every time I use it.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:52 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I had the exact same issue where it would turn to a blank backup screen. I noticed it would only do this if I were on the brakes. Turns out when you hit the brake, your reverse wire does get a small charge. Not enough to turn your reverse lights on, but enough to send the trigger to your headunit to switch to the reverse screen.

I fixed this by running a relay. I used my stereo's remote wire as the + and the reverse wire as the trigger. Also wired my camera up to the remote wire so now I can turn my backup camera on whenever I please
Old 03-31-2016, 07:02 AM

Received 267 Likes on 196 Posts

Ground the camera to the frame, I had the black screen issue when trying to ground to the lights ground. I think it puts a small amount of voltage for some reason on the ground wire and blanks out the camera. Moved my grounding to frame and my issue went away. I also had to change a setting in my pioneer because it was also coming on automatically after 7 seconds. Here is a clip from my manual how to turn that part off...

The following users liked this post:
camojfk (05-02-2016)
Old 04-02-2016, 10:04 AM

Figured it out.
You have to have the rear view camera setting turned off as well as the camera polarity set to battery.

Quick Reply: Rear view camera and Pioneer AVH3400BT Problems