Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Rear View Camera Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 04:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear View Camera Install

Hey everyone, long time lurker here but finally need some help of my own.

I currently have the BOSS AUDIO BV9986BI as my radio and halfway through an install of TaoTronics® Rear View Backup Camera Bar Type License Plate.

I have it all wired up. Tapped into the reverse lights, mounted the camera and ran the wire through to the radio. Put the car into reverse and nothing happened. I know the power is working on the tail light because the reverse light is working.

Through further investigation, I realized I need to connect a violet/white reversal line wire to the reverse light wire in my truck. I've been googling around but having no luck with a location to this wire. Any help would be appreciated.

Just for car sake: I am installing onto a 2005 Ford F-150.

Last edited by sport938; 01-01-2016 at 04:41 PM. Reason: listed car
Old 01-01-2016, 04:17 PM

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

The camera just needs the power from the reverse lights, ground and signal to your head unit. It sounds like you didn't connect a wire from your reverse lights back to the head unit so it knows the camera is on.
The following users liked this post:
sport938 (01-01-2016)
Old 01-01-2016, 04:24 PM
Timber Baron

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Is there a setting in your head unit to display the camera anytime there is video input detected?
Old 01-01-2016, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by jshillin
The camera just needs the power from the reverse lights, ground and signal to your head unit. It sounds like you didn't connect a wire from your reverse lights back to the head unit so it knows the camera is on.
Hey thanks for the quick reply. The only wire that connects back to the head unit is the included RCA cable. I have that plugged in. The camera is supposedly getting its power from that reverse light. That light is working and I double checked the scotch lock to make sure it connected to the camera wires as well.

Do I not need to do anything with this violet/white reversal line then? I read a few places that this is what tells the head unit to switch to the camera when in reverse. When I do that now, nothing happens. I just did my girlfriend's scion yesterday and we needed to tap into a wire to tell the head unit to switch the camera mode.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Toshbar
Is there a setting in your head unit to display the camera anytime there is video input detected?
According to the manual, when the car is in reverse, the head unit will switch to the back up camera mode if installed. I plugged the RCA cable to the marked back up camera and nothing happened. Then I saw the reversal line wire and it had me wondering if I have at least one more step to do. Do I need to connect that violet/white wire to the reverse wire of the car?
Old 01-01-2016, 04:36 PM

I saw a couple of other posts pointing to a black/pink wire that runs through the column and a few others that say use a green/(othercolor) that runs above the kick plate on the passenger side. Basically splice into those and you're good.
Old 01-01-2016, 05:42 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes you do. All the rca's do if the AV part of it. Ur head unit has to has a "remote" wire to trigger it to switch to the camera. Sounds like that all you need to do. Also check to see if there is a setting to turn the camera on to make the trigger for. It being a low end head unit it may not
Old 01-01-2016, 06:16 PM

Received 105 Likes on 84 Posts

I just put one in last week. You will have to run power over to the taillight and tap into the wires that control the backup lights. Mine is to the drivers side taillight.
Next run the rca plug from the camera to the back of your monitor. In my case it was the stereo. On the back of the monitor you will have to run a wire from the camera/stereo to tell the monitor to turn on when the truck is put into reverse. Not sure about the passenger side but I'm 100% sure that in the drivers side it is the black/pink wire. It drops off right in front of the seat and exits thru a grommet there. That's the easiest place to find it. That is picking it up under the kick panel on the drivers side.

Last edited by HeathMc; 01-01-2016 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:03 PM

well i tapped into the black/pink wire under the driver side column. Camera works! but now the dang radio is stuck in camera mode. suggestions? thinking this is the wrong wire and i found a constant rather than the reverse one but every place i looked said to use the black/pink wire.

Last edited by sport938; 01-01-2016 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:52 PM

Received 105 Likes on 84 Posts

Ok. Here's one way to tell. Pull the drivers side taillight off and look at the wire that hooks to the backup light. You will see the black/pink wire in question. You will also notice that the pink stipe is very thin. I'm thinking you grabbed the wrong wire.

Quick Reply: Rear View Camera Install