Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Rear Shocks, do they need replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Shocks, do they need replaced?

Hey guys, need some opinions please. This is hard to explain. First of all, my truck is an '04 FX4 with about 97k on it now. Just had new tires put on about 2 months ago. So in the past month I've noticed that when I first start to take off from a dead stop there is a little shift or shudder, kinds feels like the suspension or maybe the spare is loose and sliding around. I did check the spare, it was loose, I tightened it. I also checked the exhaust pipe and it is not loose anywhere. But I still feel this weird movement or shift in the truck right when I take off from a stop. Also when I roll slowly over a roll-curb I hear a little clunk from the rear-end. That is making me wonder if the rear shocks need replaced. I bought this truck used a year and a half ago and I think it probably has the original shocks on it, all around. I've never done any type of suspension work to this truck. I don't haul anything that weighs very much with it either. I don't go offroading with it. What do you guys think?

thanks in advance,
englandcrown

Last edited by englandcrown; 01-18-2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:03 PM
RejectedReject

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

At 97K if you are still on the stockers replacing them will only improve your ride. I would look at some bilsteins.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

for the rear? id recommend skyjacker... nice and cheap too. no complaints here.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesnt sound like a shock to me. Check everything to make sure its tight. Maybe a u-joint? re torque the wheels? shackle mount? How big are the new tires (stock?) they messin with gearing? Jack up the rear and rock the tires back and fourth to check for slop at rear u-joint at rearend. Maybe a rear sway bar? Could be anything. Just make sure all looks ok. My old ranger did a similar thing. I ended up finding all my rear leaf springs cracked in half (except the main spring). Better to be safe than sorry
Old 01-18-2010, 10:45 AM
Auburn Grad 07'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lsd?

Is there a difference in the amount of shudder when you take off in a straight line as opposed to turning? My 07' FX4 exhibited what I would describe as a "flutter" coming from the rear end when I took off from a stop while turning. This was due to the clutches slipping in the limited slip rear end (when the front wheels are straight the rear wheels are turning at the same rate so slip is not an issue).

I took it to the dealer at 58k and the rear end was rebuilt under the extended warranty. The mechanic said there was a TSB for this rear end so it may not apply to yours. The symptoms seem somewhat similar though.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input guys. When I feel this shudder it's from a stop and then going forward either turning or straight.

I had Big O check the lug nuts and they were all still tight. One guy said maybe a rear brake pad was sticking and what I am feeling is the pad free-ing up upon takeoff. I don't think that's it because I noticed it today after going slow over a speedbump and then hitting the throttle, no brakes involved.

They said they could do a complete checkout of the suspension and let me know if they find anything but honestly I don't know who I can trust. Guess I will see what they come up with.

I think regardless of the outcome I will replace the rear shocks. Rancho RS5000 series looks like a decent price and seems like most people like them.

Quick Reply: Rear Shocks, do they need replaced?