Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Rear Shackles and rear leafs questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 03:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear Shackles and rear leafs questions.

Edit: Added some actual pictures
So I finally installed my new rear springs tonight, but I have a couple questions.
1. Does it matter which way the shackle goes back in. I put it back in the way it came off, but I just want to make sure it is right because it looks like you could put it in either way.
2. After getting everything back together and putting my truck on the ground, something doesn't seem right. Looking at my rear from the side of the truck it looks like the axle is tilted to far forward. So looking at my blocks/u-bolts, are they supposed to be straight up in relation to the ground or are they supposed to be slightly tilted forward. Its kinda hard to explain, but I will take a picture in the morning when there is some light.

I drew a quick picture to kinda get a idea. Top part is how it looks now, bottom part is how it would look if it was straight up. So which way is it supposed to be. I tried google but could not get any good pictures.
Attached Thumbnails Rear Shackles and rear leafs questions.-untitled.jpg  
Attached Images     

Last edited by fordhearter; 10-12-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:48 AM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

I just looked at my 05 and it has that slightly forward rake to the bolts you describe. The shackles bodies are formed like a channel, with the open side facing rearward. Is there a front and rear to the spring itself ?
How is your pinion angle relative to the ground ? Mine is almost level, just slightly nose up. I think you are ok. I've been in the same situation before where i didn't thoroughly examine something prior to disassembly and then when finished it didn't look right, even though it was.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:32 AM

PerryB- So by looking at my picture, they are installed backwards right now and I need to swap them back? Also the pinion angle looks close to level now that I have some daylight to see it. But should it be slightly pointed up for normal angle? As for front and rear of spring, the front is big bolt and rear is smaller bolt so couldn't put it in wrong if I tried lol.

Another random question, when the new springs were off my truck they had a nice arch. Now that they are on the truck they seem almost flat with a smaller arch. Not sure if that is normal or not. However they are still way better they my worn out springs, so that is a plus.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:45 AM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Here's what it should look like..

Rear Shackles and rear leafs questions.-image-4084427988.jpg

Slight forward tilted rake at the perch..

Rear Shackles and rear leafs questions.-image-1831922986.jpg

Axle pointed up for a straight driveline angle.

Hope this helps..
Old 10-12-2014, 10:50 AM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Bro... I just noticed your pics that did not load the first time I read this..

Your blocks are stacked which is a NO NO.. You can not stack blocks and retain a safe lift or pinion angle..

Pick 1 of those blocks and remove the other.. You may need shims on the the aftermarket block to get your driveline angles back to normal.
Your pinion angle looks like it will bind pretty bad right now.
Don't drive too much on that setup unless you don't mind changing the u joints on your driveshaft in the future.

Edit: is that a spacer on your driveshaft? Lol! Ohhh boy, I think we have found a laundry list of problems here.. It's a good thing your asking questions right now..
You have to pull that spacer off your driveshaft too bud... All these extra parts you have bolted on will never give you the proper geometry you need..

Last edited by Especial86; 10-12-2014 at 10:58 AM.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:22 AM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by fordhearter
PerryB- So by looking at my picture, they are installed backwards right now and I need to swap them back? Also the pinion angle looks close to level now that I have some daylight to see it. But should it be slightly pointed up for normal angle? As for front and rear of spring, the front is big bolt and rear is smaller bolt so couldn't put it in wrong if I tried lol.

Another random question, when the new springs were off my truck they had a nice arch. Now that they are on the truck they seem almost flat with a smaller arch. Not sure if that is normal or not. However they are still way better they my worn out springs, so that is a plus.
I guess calling it a forward vs. rearward rake is relative to how you look at it. Yours looks correct.
Stacked lift blocks is considered a technical foul, but a lot of lift kits do it. The first lift I ever installed on a 150 (4" Rancho) used a "supplimental" block.
I have to say, that driveshaft spacer is the first of its kind I've ever seen, but if it works....
As far as driveshaft to pinion angle, it should be the inverse of the transmission to driveshaft angle. If this angle is wrong it'll show up as either a low speed launch shudder or a high speed vibration, depending on which way it is off. Pinion nose too high will give you a launch shudder.
Yes, the springs will flatten under a load. They have about 2500 pounds on them that they didn't have when they came out of the box. Normal.

Last edited by PerryB; 10-12-2014 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:27 AM

Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts

Here's my 06 4x4 with 6" rcx lift

Rear Shackles and rear leafs questions.-image-20606353.jpg
Old 10-12-2014, 11:50 AM

I have a 6in Procomp lift on my truck. So I can't remove the extra block or driveshaft spacer. They come with the lift. I bought the truck lifted and it has always had a random vibration at 45-60. I already road forced balanced the tires and that didn't really help. But I noticed my springs were worn and that one of the procomp shocks was bad so that's why I'm replacing them. But now that the springs are on, I thought something looked weird. If the pinion angle is off that might be the vibration I have.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:11 PM

I had the same vibration problem and it was because my rear tires were out of balance so bad that 10-20ounces of lead was applied to each tire/rim. The tires that I had were Kanati mud hogs but I recently purchased toyos and scraped every piece of lead off my rear rim. I wish I would have never wasted my money on "Kanati's" ! They still had a good 15k mikes left but had to get rid of them.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:16 PM

Is it the very back end of the bed that is vibrating and is it visible at those speeds ?

Quick Reply: Rear Shackles and rear leafs questions.