Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Rear rotor getting wicked hot

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear rotor getting wicked hot

2007 Screw. Late last week I noticed that after 10kms or so the truck got a bad vibration. When i got home i had the "smell" and of course my wheel, rotor, drum etc was very very hot. I thought perhaps the emergency brake issue but that checks out ok. Also, you can visibly see on the rotor that the pads must not be releasing enough or something because the rotor is shining brightly (all others of course have some shine but this was noticable).

So, i take of wheel, then drum (burn fingers ) and i notice although i have plenty of pad left on both there is small peices missing and some other cracks on pads. Would this simply be the issue or do you suppose i have caliber issues? I can see the piston move fine when i press the brake and the c-clamp moves the pistons back in with some effort but from my experience it always take a fair amount of pressure to push piston back in. Also, the pins looked fine

I am hoping someone says new pads should fix my problem but i wanted to get it out there.

Thanks
Brad

Last edited by yzinger; 07-22-2015 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:08 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My 2 cents worth......

I know you wrote, "I thought perhaps the emergency brake issue but that checks out ok.", but maybe you should recheck it. The F-150's have a known problem where the e-brake levers (can't remember the real name of the part) seize. When you pulled the rotor off, did you have someone step on the e-brake to see if the activating lever move? The reason I mention this is you also state that you have a bad vibration (which may happen when the e-brake levers seize, the e-brake doesn't fully release and the e-brakes are self energizing) and hot rotors.

I had the vibration, hot rotor, burning brake smell happen to me and it was the e-brake. I've replied to others with this problem (with more detail). I don't know if you cansearch my posts.

Just a thought, hope it helps.
The following users liked this post:
PRM007 (08-22-2023)
Old 07-23-2015, 01:14 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The part is called parking brake adjusting lever. You can do a search in this forum if that is the problem.

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/e-brake...0/#post4188761
Old 07-23-2015, 06:47 AM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

Make sure the guide pins move back and forth freely as well. A lot of people overlook greasing those up when they do brake jobs and they will seize up on you if you don't.

Quick Reply: Rear rotor getting wicked hot