Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Rear End Rotational Sound

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 02:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Rear End Rotational Sound

Hello All,

I'm having a hard time trying to find out the source of a rotational sound. It's hard to explain but it sounds like it could be a bearing or bad tire but I've replaced the bearings, rotors, brakes, and rotated tires. It's loudest and most notable slowing down at low speeds. I eliminated my tires by jacking up the rear end and putting it in drive. I recorded the sound with my phone but don't know if it's ok to add it in this post. I don't think it's coming from the trans as I moved down to that area and didn't hear it. It's like it's either from the rear end or wheel. Like I mentioned earlier, these are new bearings and seals with friction modifier added.

Any thoughts?

Thank you,

Ken
Old 03-27-2015, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a sound very similar to the one you are describing, and tried to find it on my own for a long time. I had narrowed it down to possibly being in the differential, but decided to take advantage of my warranty and took it to my dealer. Turned out my tires, 305/55/20's were rubbing on the parking brake cable on the drivers side. The cable was rubbing on the inside side wall of the tire, and when the raised letters of the tire hit the cable, thats when i would hear the noise. Only really happened when the truck was in a somewhat nosedown configuration. All they did was bend a bracket to give it about an inch clearance, go figure. When i picked the truck up i crawled under the truck and you could see on the tire where the cable was rubbing. Hope this helps!
Old 03-28-2015, 09:23 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

drive shaft U-joint... pinion / yoke assembly
Old 03-28-2015, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by BR_549
I had a sound very similar to the one you are describing, and tried to find it on my own for a long time. I had narrowed it down to possibly being in the differential, but decided to take advantage of my warranty and took it to my dealer. Turned out my tires, 305/55/20's were rubbing on the parking brake cable on the drivers side. The cable was rubbing on the inside side wall of the tire, and when the raised letters of the tire hit the cable, thats when i would hear the noise. Only really happened when the truck was in a somewhat nosedown configuration. All they did was bend a bracket to give it about an inch clearance, go figure. When i picked the truck up i crawled under the truck and you could see on the tire where the cable was rubbing. Hope this helps!
Thanks for the reply BR_549. I'll remove my tires to see it that does something.

Thank you,

Ken.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by techrep
drive shaft U-joint... pinion / yoke assembly
techrep - Which one would you check first? I'm assuming this is 3 things. Is the u-joint easiest since it's just a feel to see if it's loose?

Thank you,

Ken
Old 03-28-2015, 12:12 PM
Mark

Pinion and U-joint almost next to each other coming off your rear end..
Old 03-28-2015, 12:24 PM

How do I check the pinion? Should I just jack up the rear and spin the tires and listen for the sound? Forgive me but this is a first for me.

Thank you,

Ken

Last edited by Simpleaim; 03-28-2015 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:05 PM
Mark

that will work.. also look for anything around the pinion seal..
Old 03-29-2015, 12:07 PM

that will work.. also look for anything around the pinion seal..
Great!

Thank you for your response!

Ken
Old 04-05-2015, 04:47 PM

I got the rear end of my truck up and checked for oil and looseness on the drive shaft next to the differential. No oil and it was pretty tight. It didn't budge like the other videos I saw. I noticed that I could twist it barely back and forth but my wheels move with it. This was while it was in park jacked but didn't move very much. This rotational sound is driving me nuts. It's getting louder it seems. When I had my end jacked up I had my truck running in drive and the sound wasn't very noticeable as it is when there is a load on it driving down the road.

There also seems to be a shudder when I turn it by hand in neutral jacked up. The shudder comes after each rotation of the tire. Is this the infamous clutch pack?

I just replaced the rear bearing and seals but is it possible they are defective? Also I didn't grease the axle bearings. I followed a video from another forum and there was no mention of greasing. I assume the gear oil would keep it lube. But I saw another video just the other day where someone did grease them. Could this be it? It doesn't sound like chewed up bearings.

Thanks,

Ken

Quick Reply: Rear End Rotational Sound