Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

rear end question: why is it off to one side an inch?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 12:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default rear end question: why is it off to one side an inch?

i just installed some mudflaps on my beast. I carefully measured them using my mitutoyo caliper cause i wanted them nice and straight.. side to side, height, etc. Well when i'm all done I look at the truck from the rear end to see how it looks... wtf The rear driver side flap is flush with outside of tire just how i planned it (they both stick out about 1/2" in relation to the fender). I look at passenger side rear.. tire sticks out 3/4 inch further than the flap. WHAT the hell.. i recheck my measurements in relation to the fender and in relation to the frame on both sides. My measurements are bang on within 1 mm. The rear end is offset to the driver side 3/4". So in other words to make it centered you would shift it back toward the driver side halfway ( 3/8"). I looked at some trucks in the lot at local ford dealer, and looks like some (most?) are also like this. I didnt note if it was 4x4's only or what .
So now my flaps look crooked. Or rear end is cockeyed
Old 12-08-2009, 12:31 PM
American Muscle

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I think there was a discussion about this a while back and the final note was that they are not straight but I dont remember why. Hopefully some one will chime in.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rear end is cockeyed imo. After I crashed the front end of my truck and bought a new front end basically (all body) I measured and looked at the back end in my level driveway for what seemed like hours because it felt a little crooked to me.. I thought I may have caused some frame damage or something else but then a friend of mine told me they were a little crooked... It's some weird **** indeed.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I had to guess I'd say that, if they all come like this from the factory, then it most likely has something to do with towing or hauling anything. First off the trucks obviously aren't perfectly balanced left to right, and second I think probably 99% of the new trucks are not posi-traction, so it's gonna pull a little to one side (not visibly of course). My dad's 07 FX2 even has some kind of big counter-balance weight or something under the bed in the rear. Whatever the case, this is probably perfectly normal, and designed that way.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:11 PM
VanoFord2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes it is normal.Just has to with how our trucks are made.Also has alittle do with the weight to each side balance as our trucks sides are not equal in weight.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An engineering marvel inspired by one ball hanging lower than the other...

Quick Reply: rear end question: why is it off to one side an inch?