Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Rear End Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 03:19 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Question Rear End Issue?

Seems like i may have a problem...I get rear end chatter from time to time myself at low speeds while making a turn or pulling out of a parking spot...i wasnt sure if it was the tires slipping a little bit (since i have like less then 20% tread) or if it was a major issue...acorrding to an article i found online it maybe the Limited Slip Clutch Pack and may need to be replaced..i think this is a known ford issue...me being out of warranty...would i have to pay to repair this if it is indeed the problem i have? if so what would that cost? or could it be something else?

ARTICLE:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/tsb/fullt...php?tsb=06-4-4

Last edited by F-1Fizzy; 03-11-2008 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the same problem with my truck. dealership said it is indeed the clutch packs. mine has been like this for about 6 months but has recently gotten very bad. i am taking it to the dealer tomorrow. I was quoted between $800 and $900. I'm kinda dissappointed but things like this happen next time i know to get the extended warrenty. i found a website that showed that many other trucks are having this problem. http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...rd-f-150-2.htm

good luck and keep us updated.

-Bob
Old 03-11-2008, 08:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can add some friction modifier to the differental and sometimes this will help if the clutch discs arent too worn out.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

UGH...UGH...UGH...lol...well then i am pretty sure that is my problem as well...the price of the parts needed is actually pretty cheap...that labor is what kills it...i used to work at the local ford dealership out here...so i contacted some friends to see what i can work out as far as price and to see if any of them would be interested in this job as side work to make some money...first im going to verify it with the dealer that what i am getting is indeed this problem...and hope maybe it could be fixed with just the additive...

wish me luck guys...lol...
Old 03-12-2008, 06:35 PM

Default Clutch Plates

This problem was most common in the 04 models. The clutch plates are the problem. With all the issues the rear ends for the 04's had it's a wonder FORD didn't help those people out. I bought my 04 Screw and experienced the same problems. There was a shutter in the rear end starting from a stop and taking a turn. The dealer I purchased my truck from payed for all repairs. The cost to the dealer was $580.00. They also changed out the rear end fluid which is now calling for a certain fluid. Good luck and hope all works out for you.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:18 AM
Going Postal!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

my truck was doing it bad at low speeds when it took off. The dealer had to rebuild my limited slip differential. Adding modifier only takes away the symptoms it doesnt cure the problem.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:17 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Hell for 800 dollars you can have an Eaton put in. Its better than the stock Ford unit.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:13 PM

just had mine changed out today. Total was $545.00
Old 06-20-2009, 07:29 AM

Default rear end clutches

Wow I sure googled this issue wrong last time going to do my clutches this saturday going to take pictures if any body want to see how its done I wondered why Ford had this part on the shelf, everything I needed was $325.00 even Ihave f150 4x4 XLT flare side with a cost of $100.00 to do the job with me doing most the work and my mechanic doing the actual rebuild and reinstall.
I hope I got all the correct parts seemed to be alitle confusion in the parts department of course finding an exploded diagram seems to be out of the qestion but have looked at few similar dosent seem reall extreme wish i would have known about the other rear eand i may have bought that
Good luck
Old 03-02-2012, 03:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by F-1Fizzy
Seems like i may have a problem...I get rear end chatter from time to time myself at low speeds while making a turn or pulling out of a parking spot...i wasnt sure if it was the tires slipping a little bit (since i have like less then 20% tread) or if it was a major issue...acorrding to an article i found online it maybe the Limited Slip Clutch Pack and may need to be replaced..i think this is a known ford issue...me being out of warranty...would i have to pay to repair this if it is indeed the problem i have? if so what would that cost? or could it be something else?

ARTICLE:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/tsb/fullt...php?tsb=06-4-4
My 2006 will 160K does this as well on occasion. Am I Ok to ignore it until it happens on a regular basis?

Can I expect a gradual deterioration or is there a chance of the rear end disintergrating when i'm at freeway speeds.

Quick Reply: Rear End Issue?