Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Rear End Clunking

Old 06-20-2009, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear End Clunking

Hey All,

I guess i haven't been on here long enough and had to re-register. Anyway, my truck has this clunking noise and I can't figure out what it is. The truck is a 2005, 4x2 with the limited slip (3.73).

When I am driving forward, or reversing, and have the wheels turned fairly hard, I hear a soft clunking noise. It sounds like it is coming from the rear. I don't want to influence anyone, but it sounds like it clunks at about the speed that the driveshaft would be spinning (for the speed I am going at the time).

I had the rear differential replaced a little over a year ago (and had to take it back to the dealer the day after I got it back because they put bad bearings in it - it was whining). It has been over a year, and the noise just started to show up recently. It does not clunk when going straight, or at highway speeds. Only when turning sharp going forwards or backwards. The wheels do need to be aligned, but I will do that after I replace the tires in the coming month.

Has anyone had anything similar to this? What was it? If not, any idea what it might be? Any TSBs for it? I just want to know so that I can help explain my problem to the dealer, or have an idea of what they will want to charge to fix it.

Thanks guys!
Old 06-20-2009, 07:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

limited slip clutch pads?????
Old 06-20-2009, 08:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

that's what it sounds like, if it's that apparent, they will be able to diagnose it fairly easily.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:24 PM

OK, thanks to both of you.

I have only put 5k on the truck over the last year since the rear axle was replaced. Any reason why the pads are bad? Unfortunately, since it has been 12 months, they probably won't cover it under the parts warrenty. Damn.

Is it expensive? I'd look into doing it myself, but I have no tools or anything here. Crap.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

it could have been spot up improperly, with that low of miles and having issues....i would have them look at it again and tell them that 5k miles and it's junk again, what gives?
Old 06-24-2009, 06:31 PM

I was by the dealer today to get a state vehicle inspection. While they couldn't get the truck into the shop to check the clucking sound, I did take the service rep for a drive and he definitely heard it too. He is thinking it is the body or something other than the clutch pack. We heard it when:

-turning slowly sharply
-coasting down a flat road doing S turns (no brake, no gas, no shifting)
-once as i came to a stop
-it is a reproducible, but irregular clucking (not like a clunk every time the wheels or drive shaft makes a revolution)
-did NOT hear it when accelerating

When I got home, I put the truck in park, and rocked the truck back and forth while standing near the rear wheel, holding the top rail of the bed. It sounds like the clunking is coming from between the bed and the cab somewhere under the truck on the passenger side.

I will try to have a buddy rock it while I crawl under and see if I can spot it. Otherwise, it's into the dealer to see if they can find it. I guess this is good, since it does not appear to be anywhere in the drivetrain, but I will grab the driveshaft/etc and wiggle those too.

If anyone had anything like this, let me know what to shake to see if I have a lose one too. Thanks!
Old 06-24-2009, 09:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same truck you and it's in the shop to replace the rear-end.
What happened to your rear-end and how much diid it cost?
My differential started "roaring" several months ago, so the 3rd party Warranty Company is replacing it for $1700.00.

Inquiring minds want to know......... thx!
Old 06-26-2009, 07:57 AM

I was in an accident and hit a curb. The rear wheel broke off. That is, the wheel stayed bolted to the hub/brake assembly. But, the hub/brake assembly snapped off the end of the axle. 5 big lugs to bold on the wheel. However, the wheel assembly/hub/whatever is attached to the axle with 4 small ones. Very odd design.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had my differential clutch replaced earlier this year.... it was making noises about the some times yours does. But you seem to have found that it is not the drivetrain. PS all i had to pay was the deductable $100. not so bad.... Now it works GREAT haha
Old 06-06-2012, 08:25 PM

Default Fix to

Originally Posted by chrisrucker
Hey All,

I guess i haven't been on here long enough and had to re-register. Anyway, my truck has this clunking noise and I can't figure out what it is. The truck is a 2005, 4x2 with the limited slip (3.73).

When I am driving forward, or reversing, and have the wheels turned fairly hard, I hear a soft clunking noise. It sounds like it is coming from the rear. I don't want to influence anyone, but it sounds like it clunks at about the speed that the driveshaft would be spinning (for the speed I am going at the time).

I had the rear differential replaced a little over a year ago (and had to take it back to the dealer the day after I got it back because they put bad bearings in it - it was whining). It has been over a year, and the noise just started to show up recently. It does not clunk when going straight, or at highway speeds. Only when turning sharp going forwards or backwards. The wheels do need to be aligned, but I will do that after I replace the tires in the coming month.

Has anyone had anything similar to this? What was it? If not, any idea what it might be? Any TSBs for it? I just want to know so that I can help explain my problem to the dealer, or have an idea of what they will want to charge to fix it.

Thanks guys!
There is nothing wrong with your rear. Just take out a quart of fluid from your rear end and add another limited additive and top off. Your limited slip is working too well. Easy fix for your problem. Noise will go away.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear End Clunking