Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Rear Differential seal leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Differential seal leak

I just bought an 06 F150 supercrew XTR. I noticed the front seal on the rear differential was leaking. Now this morning my wife noticed that there is a vibration and shudder coming from the rearend when you decelerate from 40km/h to 20km/h thats 24mph to 12 mph. When I drove it it really happens all the time when coasting just more prevalent at those speeds. Originally I thought u-joint but when I crawled under the u-joints are fine. When I was checking the u-joint I noticed lots of play on the rear differential yoke "I guess thats what you call it" The piece that comes out of the diffy that the u-joint bolts to. From what I've read it's probably the pinion bearing? Any suggestions? What else might it be? If it is the pinion bearing would there be any other damage to be looked at? I'm taking back to the dealer on Monday and would like some ammo. 130000km or 80000mile on it. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:55 PM

I have a 06 supercrew lariat with 93000km and the rear seal looks to be gone( due to the leaking of oil) I dont have any weird vibrations, but i have also been keeping an eye on the oil leak, and making sure it is always topped up, till i figure out what i want to do with it....
Does anyone know if its and easy fix to replace a rear diff seal????
Old 08-10-2008, 10:25 PM

I drove around the lots today and looked at 8 2006 f150's 5 of them have leaking oil seal on the rear diffy. Anywhere from 40000 km t0 135000 km on them. Mileage doesnt seem to be a factor. Lack of oil I suspect will most likely be the cause.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:51 PM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Oh no, it sounds like the person before you ran the rear end dry and ran it that way long enough to ruin the bearing. discovering this put some gear oil in the case and sold it. The is a job for a frame and axle shop, in order to replace the bearing/shim assembly there is a rather expensive tool needed to set the height of the pinion gear when the bearing is replaced. If it indeed was run dry then the differential will need to be checked out as well, another job for a frame and axle shop.

As for replacing a seal on the rear impeller shaft that is easy as long as you have the tool to do it with. I have always used a big slide hammer to pull the yoke/plate from the impeller shaft. Once the yoke/plate is off then it is easy to pry out the old seal, tap the new one in place. tap the yoke back into place, and check the gear lub' level, install the drive shaft and you are done.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:41 AM
mmmm.....

i had this same problem on my '94. tackled the problem and it was a loosin pinion nut. if its possible, (i dont remember the setup on the new trucks) take some red locktight and make sure theres a washer on the pinion nut. throw some locktight on it and tightin it down to spec and fill the differential up. your seal might be worn out as well but youll know it because it will still leak some after a couple of days, but if you do that itll last you a while til you can afford to get it fixed (if you cant already afford it) and stop most, if not all the vibration. hope that helps!
Old 08-11-2008, 07:25 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Its better to let the professionals do this one. Keep in mind, there are good serviceable rear ends in junk yards out of wrecked low mileage trucks, just in case the dealership goes wild with the price. Might check prices ahead of time. Rear ends can be changed, if you have friends and tools available, jacks and stands, and basic hand tools.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:46 PM

I talked to the dealer today that I bought it from. The sales manager said not to worry bring it in and He will take care of it. "He wouldn't leave me hanging" We will see what that means. I'll bring it in on wednesday.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:46 PM
mmmm.....

Originally Posted by Bill Wiltshire
Its better to let the professionals do this one. Keep in mind, there are good serviceable rear ends in junk yards out of wrecked low mileage trucks, just in case the dealership goes wild with the price. Might check prices ahead of time. Rear ends can be changed, if you have friends and tools available, jacks and stands, and basic hand tools.
notice i stated "last until you can afford to get it fixed."

and for the record, i just made a 200 mile round trip doing what i said in my previous post and got it looked at afterwards and nothing was wrong with it....
Old 08-12-2008, 01:48 AM

so is it seals left or right ?,or the diff cover? , maybe check your lug nuts ?
Old 08-12-2008, 10:49 AM
mmmm.....

Originally Posted by skidmarks
so is it seals left or right ?,or the diff cover? , maybe check your lug nuts ?
wtf are you talking about.

Quick Reply: Rear Differential seal leak