Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

rear differential

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 02:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear differential

I have a 3.55 open differential in my 06 stx. I want something better... The problem is im not really sure what that is. I thought I wanted a powertrax, then I thought maybe I need truetrac... now I think im looking for a ford LS. So basicly I have no idea what I need. What I do know is I have snowy icy midwest winter conditions. I dont want something something that will throw me sideways just because I drive across some highway ice. Also I dont like my 1 wheel peel.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:39 AM
RejectedReject

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

A Ford LS would suit ya fine IMO. I had an 05 with the 3.73ls and never had a problem. On my 09 I've got a 3.55 open and have not yet had a problem. It all depends on how much you want to spend. If I have a problem this winter I will throw 4-5 60lb sand bags in the bed, I did that with my 92 ranger 2wd and never had a problem
Old 12-08-2009, 11:00 AM

From the sounds of what you are looking for, a LS will do you fine. I know a buddy who put a powertrax in his truck a few years ago and had nothing but problems with it and ended up taking it back out. It also acted more like a locker rather than a LS. I like my LS and it works fine for me, But to each his own.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:32 AM

So should I just go to the scrapyard pull one, and put it on? Or do I need to have somebody rebuild it first? I dont mind spending a little extra up front. But if its going to raise the cost over something new or push the cost close, then id rather buy it new.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zagnut
So should I just go to the scrapyard pull one, and put it on? Or do I need to have somebody rebuild it first? I dont mind spending a little extra up front. But if its going to raise the cost over something new or push the cost close, then id rather buy it new.
I would get a TrueTrac. Its a geared LS so it wont have clutches to wear out and you wont have to feed it friction modifier to make it work without chattering. The problem with getting a junkyard LS is that you will probably have to rebuild the clutches in it. Another option to look at is the Torsen LS that Ford puts in the Level II Rangers. Its also a geared LS.
Any of these will require that the backlash and preload be reset on your ring gear. Dont let someone charge you the full price to reset the gears because the pinion doesnt need to be touched, and thats the hard part.
Stay away from a locker if you value predictable handling on hard packed snow or ice.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:07 PM

I have the Truetrac with 3.55 in my 08' STX and it works well for me. This will be the second winter with this setup. I did not have any problems last winter with the Truetrac either. The operation of the unit is smooth with no ill manners either. I run 240 lbs. of sand in the bed for traction too. Also still running the General Grabber's that came from the factory. Hope that this helps with your decision.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:04 PM

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

I'd try to grab a low mileage LS from the wreckers. Put it on and have it serviced at the dealer just in case (fresh fluid). I'd think that's the cheapest option. I've got the 3.55 LS in mine, and had the 3.73LS in my '06. Both are miles better then the crap GM open difs. I've pulled two work trucks (GM) out of a small drift in the driveway with my fords, and not even a little wheel slip. I could imagine the Ford open isn't much better in the snow. Nothing like getting stuck in 6" of snow to **** you off in the morning.

Ian
Old 12-08-2009, 11:09 PM
Proudly Rockin the XL!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dhb_f150
I have the Truetrac with 3.55 in my 08' STX and it works well for me. This will be the second winter with this setup. I did not have any problems last winter with the Truetrac either. The operation of the unit is smooth with no ill manners either. I run 240 lbs. of sand in the bed for traction too. Also still running the General Grabber's that came from the factory. Hope that this helps with your decision.
+1! I have this exact same setup, and while this will be my first winter with it, I really like it. I've got around 500 lbs of weight in the bed (cat litter, salt, and pea gravel in bags, held in place over the rear axle which is CRITICAL), so maybe a bit overkill, but I used to keep about 400 lbs in the bed of my old Ranger, so I figured I'd bump it up 100 lbs for a much bigger, heavier truck.

I would definitely recommend a gear driven LS rather than clutch driven, just a much better design, no inherent wearing of clutches, it will perform better, and should last longer than the truck.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:13 PM

I got 10" of snow outside right now. I am having a hard time locating anything used. Dealership wants $1500 and a truck shop wants $1300 for new parts.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:15 PM

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Zagnut
I got 10" of snow outside right now. I am having a hard time locating anything used. Dealership wants $1500 and a truck shop wants $1300 for new parts.

I'm a cheap f*ck...so you can guess which option I'd change my mind to.

Ian

Quick Reply: rear differential