Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Rear Diff issue or not???

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 09:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Rear Diff issue or not???

I'm trying to determine if my issue is what others describe as rear end "chatter". My 07 has 11k on it so hopefully whatever is wrong can be fixed before things get worse.
From a stop, I press on the gas and hear a small "chirp" and it feels like something is loose and it takes a split second for the drive train to engage and move forward. It just feels like there's a little slop or play somewhere. Once I'm going forward I everything feels perfect w/smooth shifting etc.

Before I add friction modifier, I want to know if this is even the same issue many of you have with the rear diff.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found out my tailgate was loose. That might be the sound your hearing. But the engaging i dont know. i have 04 with 60k and i just did a differential service and it made it better.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:02 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Motty04
I found out my tailgate was loose. That might be the sound your hearing. But the engaging i dont know. i have 04 with 60k and i just did a differential service and it made it better.
This is definitely in the drive train somewhere. You can feel it "lock in" and take off a split second after I press the gas. It isn't violent or anything. There's just a bit of a chirp sound and then it acceleartes. Could it be a U-joint? I haven't been under it yet.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:32 PM
Lariet Man

on a turn from a dead stop the outside tire will slip a little before it locks the clutch pack in the differential, if it chatters like mine was it probably needs a fluid change and its exspensive about $120 for four bottles of rear diff fluid and a bottle of friction modifier. add the modifier first before adding the rest. (if you have a Limited Slip differential.)
Old 07-30-2010, 07:46 PM

richb I am from Barrie also,, that's pretty cool

Quick Reply: Rear Diff issue or not???