Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Rear Diff

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 11:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Rear Diff

Sorry if this has been brought up before.
Truck 2005 F150 STX 4.6 4x4
Door code for rear says H9, door code for axles read R5
Numbers on rear read 3L55 88

If my research is correct this should be limited slip, I pulled cover there is a spider gear with no teeth on it ,a ford dealer said it was the clutches making noise, am i correct that there are no clutches in this rear?
What else should i check/replace when i dig into spiders?
What would have caused gear to strip?

Hopefully i covered all the info.
Thanks nate
Old 11-01-2015, 01:30 PM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

I'm going to call that a LS diff... You can see (but barely because of your pic angle) the pre-load spring in between the spider gears.

H9 is a 3.55 diff... I believe it's the smaller of the two. I have a B9 in my SCREW but it's rated at a higher capacity.

A clutch pack could be blamed for this problem... Likely the diff could have been serviced and the friction modifier left out. Gear oils with the additive added aren't enough alone. The modifier should still be added in addition to this.

Last edited by nrivera04; 11-01-2015 at 01:39 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by nrivera04:
Nate77 (11-01-2015), Toshbar (11-02-2015)
Old 11-01-2015, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by nrivera04
I'm going to call that a LS diff... You can see (but barely because of your pic angle) the pre-load spring in between the spider gears.

H9 is a 3.55 diff... I believe it's the smaller of the two. I have a B9 in my SCREW but it's rated at a higher capacity.

A clutch pack could be blamed for this problem... Likely the diff could have been serviced and the friction modifier left out. Gear oils with the additive added aren't enough alone. The modifier should still be added in addition to this.

Where is the clutch pack located? between the ring gear and abs?
Old 11-02-2015, 12:41 AM
Timber Baron

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate77
Where is the clutch pack located? between the ring gear and abs?
Between the two axle shafts in the carrier.

The L in 3L55 indicates "Limited Slip"
Old 11-07-2015, 11:01 AM

Ok so put new clutches,spiders and side gears in ....now i get a squeling noise when turning, i soaked new clutch disk for 2hrs,squeling just break in?
Old 11-09-2015, 07:09 AM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

It's hard to say. There's more to rebuilding a diff then putting the parts back in. There's setting proper backlash and preload. If you didn't do this, it could result in squealing and/or premature (as in very premature) diff wear.

Another comment is on the condition of all the bearings and seals in your axle assembly. With as much metal as you had floating around in your lube, I think your bearings and seals are likely suspect. Perhaps a differential expert will step in here, but if I were you, I'd entertain having a shop review your diff and set it up right. It's gonna cost you, but it will be cheaper in the end if you ruin another set of gears. Good luck.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:13 AM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick's 06
It's hard to say. There's more to rebuilding a diff then putting the parts back in. There's setting proper backlash and preload. If you didn't do this, it could result in squealing and/or premature (as in very premature) diff wear.

Another comment is on the condition of all the bearings and seals in your axle assembly. With as much metal as you had floating around in your lube, I think your bearings and seals are likely suspect. Perhaps a differential expert will step in here, but if I were you, I'd entertain having a shop review your diff and set it up right. It's gonna cost you, but it will be cheaper in the end if you ruin another set of gears. Good luck.

X2... It's possible something is too tight in/with the carrier. Sounds like some tolerances/clearances might need to be checked. Things are especially picky these days with measurements. Might find you a local drive line shop to check things out.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:53 PM

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

just replacing spider gear and clutch pack doesn't need to readjust the backlash and ring gear setup.

did you put the friction modifier in?
have you change the wheel bearing/seal while you were there with the axle pulled off?
c-clip and everything else reinstalled and torqued down correctly
Old 11-10-2015, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by maxpat82
just replacing spider gear and clutch pack doesn't need to readjust the backlash and ring gear setup.

did you put the friction modifier in?
have you change the wheel bearing/seal while you were there with the axle pulled off?
c-clip and everything else reinstalled and torqued down correctly
Yes i added the friction modifier

Yes bearings and seals were replaced

c-clips are in , everything was installed the way it came out and torqued to the specs in haynes

How ever that noise is not present after 200 miles.

thanks for the help

Quick Reply: Rear Diff