Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

rear diff

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rear diff

a few months ago i had my rear clutch packs replaced from a secondary mechanic. well it started to have a small leak so i took it to my dealer. i told them what was wrong and asked them how much to change fluid and replace seal. they put it on the lift and come back with a price. the guy tells me $230. i thought that was a little high. then the tells me i have to pay $50 for the est. i knew what was wrong i just wanted a price. i said im not paying that and he can me they said they would withhold my truck if i didnt pay. i pay the $50 for them to look at it for 5 mins. and leave. i was honestly pissed. is $230 to much for a fluid change?
Old 11-09-2008, 09:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

hell ya thats too much. even if labor is $90/hr it shouldnt take more then an hour....do the math.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:11 PM

Received 212 Likes on 192 Posts

Hmmm, on one hand that $50 may have cost the dealer $230 or more in revenue. A mad customer is not likely to be a repeat customer.

On the other hand - if they're going to charge for just hooking up to the computer for a diagnosis, don't know that putting a vehicle up on the rack is that much different. Obviously, someone thinks it's a good business plan.

Suggest that dealers may be under more pressure to get their profits from the service end of the business, if their sales end continues to lag.

More to the immediate question - would think that $230 is high for a fluid change - but if they were quoting the seal change also - perhaps not all that bad???? Hopefully the $50 estimate price would be taken off if the work were done??

Quick Reply: rear diff