Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Rear ABS sensor go after replacing clutches?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 11:21 PM

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Default Rear ABS sensor go after replacing clutches?

So I pulled out the crown and pinion and had the clutches replaced. Put it all back together and now my abs light is on. I got a code that showed up on my edge when i started it and it said something like "incorrect gear" or something along those lines. Like a dummy I cleared it and didn't write it down. I did not do any front end work and did not pull the rear sensor. Coincidence that it suddenly went bad or did I do something? I haven't driven it yet, would doing so clear the light on next start up?? The edge no longer shows a code, just the ABS light is on.
Thoughts?
Old 04-29-2016, 10:16 AM

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

you didn't replace the gear, the "abs ring/tone gear" is correctly in place and the sensor is correctly connected?

if the truck have been started with the sensor not plugged in...yes driving it should clear it.

Last edited by maxpat82; 04-29-2016 at 10:25 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by maxpat82
you didn't replace the gear, the "abs ring/tone gear" is correctly in place and the sensor is correctly connected?

if the truck have been started with the sensor not plugged in...yes driving it should clear it.
Oh boy...I had a shop replace the clutches after I pulled it...hope they reinstalled it because I didn't even notice. I wondering if it's because I cycled the key without the rear end back together. Hopefully its there....
Thanks for info!!!
Old 05-06-2016, 11:01 PM

tone ring is there. Pulled rear sensor and can see it. Put a snap on scanner on it and it was giving me the rear sensor code. I just replaced it tonight with a new one but still it stays on and abs is not working. I put scanner back on it, showed rear sensor code, cleared it but light stays on. Driving it makes no difference as well as pulling battery cables.....Common for wiring to go bad in connectors / or is there something I'm missing?
Old 05-07-2016, 11:39 AM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by Moremoney
tone ring is there. Pulled rear sensor and can see it. Put a snap on scanner on it and it was giving me the rear sensor code. I just replaced it tonight with a new one but still it stays on and abs is not working. I put scanner back on it, showed rear sensor code, cleared it but light stays on. Driving it makes no difference as well as pulling battery cables.....Common for wiring to go bad in connectors / or is there something I'm missing?
I'd suspect the connector or harness if a new sensor didn't do the trick. They may have damaged the connector disconnecting it.. You could try cleaning the connections, then with a needle you can bring the contacts in the harness connector closer together for a tighter fit over the sensor spades.
The following users liked this post:
Moremoney (05-08-2016)
Old 05-08-2016, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Especial86
I'd suspect the connector or harness if a new sensor didn't do the trick. They may have damaged the connector disconnecting it.. You could try cleaning the connections, then with a needle you can bring the contacts in the harness connector closer together for a tighter fit over the sensor spades.

Yep that's exactly what happened. So for anyone who does a search and finds this thread at least they will know how it ended. I had the C1230 rear sensor code.

I tested the harness attached to the sensor using a multimeter and test cables...looking for voltage and I had none so I knew it was in the wiring....I started peeling back factory wrap and low and behold a wire was broken down where it was factory twisted. It simply just broke from time and use. I soldered in a new connection, shrink wrapped and taped and - BINGO - no light and functioning ABS. Codes were cleared and light went out. I did a couple of hard stops on highway to be sure and all is good.

Last edited by Moremoney; 05-08-2016 at 11:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear ABS sensor go after replacing clutches?