Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Reappropriating dash buttons

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 02:35 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Reappropriating dash buttons

My truck is a 07 screw. I have a Whelen Edge strobe light bar i want to put on my truck, and i plan on mounting it on a roll bar behind the cab. The bar is all clear and has 6 strobe tubes and 6 stationary halogen lights. What i want to do is have one switch for the strobes and have one switch for the work lights. Instead of just using some aftermarket toggles, i was wondering about trying to use the little buttons under the climate control. I see that there are five button places and my truck only uses three (mirror heat, recirculate, and AC). I was thinking of trying to get a panel that had all five buttons active, and use the extra two to power the light bar. A couple questions- what do the other two buttons do and has anybody attempted this before?
Old 01-25-2010, 03:21 PM
Yellow Steel FX4

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Based on the owners manual page 48, it only comes with 3 buttons. Set up the way yours is, or in place of the mirror heat it shows rear window defroster button. So I am not sure if any truck comes with 5 operational buttons. Might want to call the dealer and see, if no one has an answer for ya.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:26 PM

Received 138 Likes on 103 Posts

and its one big circuit board behind the front panel, that does not have provisions for anymore switches, and it would be very hard to rig something up, even then your looking at modifying or making a new circuit board, so unless your an electrical engineer id say go for a toggle switch hidden somewhere, like under the steering wheel dash panel next to the obdII port there is a piece of steel with a hole the perfect size for a toggle switch
Old 01-25-2010, 05:00 PM
Things are looking up!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may be incorrect but I think the other 2 buttons are for heated seats. The far left for the driver and the far right for the passenger.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:52 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Here's mine, sounds different though:

Old 01-26-2010, 01:19 AM

if the other two buttons were heated seats, i could definitely work with that.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:05 PM

OK so update. I went to the dealer and priced out that little button pack. Turns out its attached to the heater controls and the whole assy. is almost 400.00 bucks, so hell no.
I then thought that maybe i could integrate a Super Duty AUX switch pack into that little cubby on the very bottom of the dash stack, only around 70 bucks, not bad.
I asked the service guy how to pull the dash bezel and he walked out to show me. With a little prying we got it out easy. While looking at the back of this bezel, i noticed that the oval plastic insert that holds the cigarette lighter had spaces for two other switches. I took the little oval inside and we looked it up. The other buttons are both round. One is for either the transmission tow mode or somthing, or the reverse parking system defeat button. The OTHER side has a plain BLACK SWITCH ASSEMBLY listed as the part that can go into it. The computer doesnt list what the switch is for and none of the trucks on the lot had this switch in them. From the picture it appears that its a simple black short toggle mounted in a round hole the size of the lighter. Has anybody seen a truck with this switch? Any idea what it might be for? It only costs 33 bucks so im thinking about just ordering it.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

u could always get the 2010 f150 upfitter switchs from raptor and some f150 come with the cable inside to plug it in to power it
Old 01-27-2010, 04:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by imafordboi69
.... One is for either the transmission tow mode or somthing, or the reverse parking system defeat button. The OTHER side has a plain BLACK SWITCH ASSEMBLY listed as the part that can go into it. The computer doesnt list what the switch is for and none of the trucks on the lot had this switch in them. From the picture it appears that its a simple black short toggle mounted in a round hole the size of the lighter. Has anybody seen a truck with this switch? Any idea what it might be for? It only costs 33 bucks so im thinking about just ordering it.
The left button is the TCS (traction control system) and the other is to turn on/off your rear parking assist (BEEP BEEP BEEP). Hope that helps!
Old 01-28-2010, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by VanoFord
The left button is the TCS (traction control system) and the other is to turn on/off your rear parking assist (BEEP BEEP BEEP). Hope that helps!
Well we saw those two buttons, however there was a third switch that was mentioned as well, a sort of option i guess. It just didnt say what it was for like the other two did.

Quick Reply: Reappropriating dash buttons