Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Re-treads tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 11:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re-treads tires

Any opinions or experiences in retreaded tires. I am looking at. Set of 33" on treadwright.com. Any info you guys have is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:48 PM

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Why cheap on tires? Brakes and tires are two things I would never go cheap on. Save up and buy good tires.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:13 PM

Received 147 Likes on 125 Posts

I know retreads used to be illegal for non-commercial vehicles and apparently a few things have changed but i would still check local laws to make sure. I wouldn't be nervous about using a quality retread and it's pretty common practice with big rigs so I assume they must be a relatively safe alternative.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:23 PM

I have the money to order a new set as well but I thought if I could save like $450 on a set of re-treads it would be nice as the truck has 190,000 on it. I will double check local laws, I was unaware of any sort of legality issue. Thanks for letting me know about that.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:44 PM
Batteries Not Included

Received 294 Likes on 190 Posts

Personally, regardless of the law I would feel safer with brand new tires. Like it has been said, important features like tires and brakes deserve the best we can afford for safety sake
Old 05-13-2014, 02:21 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This is just my experience: Had a friend that worked at a tire store, he had a set of retreads that fit my F-250 and let me have them at a ridiculous price so I bought them and did not put them on. Later I bought some property and knew I would be driving hundreds of miles multiple times so I asked him if those retreads would be okay, before I had only used the truck locally withing a few miles of home. With no hesitation he took the retreads back and gave me a deal on a set of new tires, I deferred to his experience. I guess it would depend on what you were using the truck for.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:40 PM

Received 147 Likes on 125 Posts

to me it's really difficult to know if these are quality. retreads are used on big rigs all the time however i believe they don't use them on steering axles and therefore, they are backed up by another tire. I can tell you this. my father buys tires for his truck by the 100 (i guess he gets a discount) and he doesn't run retreads on any of his big rigs so I'm guessing they they aren't cost effective.

according to the Washington State DOT (seemed reputable but didn't look to hard):
Are retreaded tires safe tires and are they responsible for most of the rubber on the roadway?
According to a spokesperson for TRIB, the Tire Retread Information Bureau. Retreaded tires are as safe as comparable new tires, a fact documented by several studies. Yet, retreads have a bad reputation.
The perception that retreads are the primary cause of rubber on the road is wrong as a National Highway Traffic Safety Administration study confirms. Tire debris on highways (also known as rubber on the road or road alligators), is not caused by retreads, according to the NHTSA findings in the Commercial Medium Tire Debris Study. The NHTSA study found in its analysis of tire fragments and casings collected that the proportion of tire debris from retread tires and original equipment (OE) tires is similar to the estimated proportion of retread and OE tires in service.
Examination of tire fragments and tire casings (where the OE or retread status known) found in the NHTSA study:

Road hazard was the most common cause of tire failure, at 38 percent and 36 percent respectively

The analysis of tire casings found maintenance and operational issues accounted for 32 percent of the failures

Manufacture defects accounted for 16 percent.

Analysis of tire fragments found that excessive heat was evident in 30 percent of the samples examined.
The study results suggest that the majority of tire debris found on the Nation’s highways is not a result of manufacturing/process deficiencies.
The Arizona DOT study, Survey of Tire Debris on Metropolitan Phoenix, found that for all types of tires, under-inflation and damage due to roadway hazards and debris were the most common causes of tire failure. Due to the minimal safety hazard posed by tire debris, the over-representation of different tire types in the Phoenix sample, and the attribution of most tire failures to driver negligence or infrequent maintenance, the study did not recommend that a policy be adopted targeting specific types of tires.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:01 PM

Received 353 Likes on 285 Posts

Yep I have lots of experience with retreads over the years driving quad axle dump trucks. They frequently come apart. I would NOT put them on my vehicles ever. I do not trust a glued together tire! The only reason they are ok on a commercial vehicle is because you have multiple tires to compensate for one blowing out. And retreads are not legal here in ohio for front steer tires.

Last edited by screamineagle; 05-13-2014 at 05:04 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:57 PM

Okay based on what I heard I will keep searching and researching on a new set. Thanks for all the input guys. It was exactly what I was looking for.

Quick Reply: Re-treads tires