Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Rattling rear doors on 06' SC

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Rattling rear doors on '06 SC

My '06 Super Crew rears doors sound like they aren't closed all the way when I drive over bumps and uneven pavement. Took it to Ford and had them "adjust" them with no luck. I only have 18,000 miles and it has done this as long as I can remember. Bad door gaskets?

Last edited by coolcontractor; 10-28-2008 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:50 AM

I hope you get some answers on this one. My 06 Super Cab does the same. I checked to make sure the rubber bumpers were there. Just sounds loose.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:24 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

I'd keep taking it back until they (Ford) fix it right. They cannot convince me that they designed a rear door to rattle. There has to be a fix/adjustment for it.

Take it back; take the service advisor for a ride with you so he/she hears the rattle you are refering to. Then ask them to fix it (be polite).

Taking the service advisor for a ride so they can experience the noise/problem you are complaining about works.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:14 PM
US Army Retired

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by coolcontractor
My '06 Super Crew rears doors sound like they aren't closed all the way when I drive over bumps and uneven pavement. Took it to Ford and had them "adjust" them with no luck. I only have 18,000 miles and it has done this as long as I can remember. Bad door gaskets?

same year model but a supercab with the same problem... subscribing to this thread to see how it ends up getting fixed.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:05 PM

i worked for ford as a body man for 3 years and just recently left "money better somewhere else". I rarely saw this problem in the super crew. I do remember one i worked on. Take electrical tape and put it on the striker from the front door to the rear door not much just about three times around. now drive it like that for a few days and if the sound went away it going to be the latch in the front door. if the sound still exists move to the next striker which would be the top one of the rear thats mounted on the cab then move to the bottom one, with the tape the sounds should go away. once it does you know which latch it is. I used to drive down a brick road to figure this one out. try to talk to your technician and let him know this info it will save him time and make him more money. He will be happy the noise was narrowed down if he doesnt already know what i took hours to figure out. hope this helps.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:30 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by slmdseaturtle
i worked for ford as a body man for 3 years and just recently left "money better somewhere else". I rarely saw this problem in the super crew. I do remember one i worked on. Take electrical tape and put it on the striker from the front door to the rear door not much just about three times around. now drive it like that for a few days and if the sound went away it going to be the latch in the front door. if the sound still exists move to the next striker which would be the top one of the rear thats mounted on the cab then move to the bottom one, with the tape the sounds should go away. once it does you know which latch it is. I used to drive down a brick road to figure this one out. try to talk to your technician and let him know this info it will save him time and make him more money. He will be happy the noise was narrowed down if he doesnt already know what i took hours to figure out. hope this helps.
Great troubleshooting information; thanks for providing!
Old 11-01-2008, 04:31 PM

Default Rattles are gone.

Thanks for the responses. I tried the trick with electrical tape on the strikers and it worked. I went to the Ford parts counter with the front door rubber snubber and asked for something better. The original one was hollow with a very thin wall. He got me (4) part # W705903-S300's, ('04 Excursion). The new ones are a lot more stout. I replaced front and rear door snubbers and it worked out great. I don't know how much they cost because he just gave them to me. I did mention to him that my truck only had 18,000 miles. Thanks again.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by coolcontractor
Thanks for the responses. I tried the trick with electrical tape on the strikers and it worked. I went to the Ford parts counter with the front door rubber snubber and asked for something better. The original one was hollow with a very thin wall. He got me (4) part # W705903-S300's, ('04 Excursion). The new ones are a lot more stout. I replaced front and rear door snubbers and it worked out great. I don't know how much they cost because he just gave them to me. I did mention to him that my truck only had 18,000 miles. Thanks again.
im glad i could help!
Old 07-10-2010, 07:53 AM

Just saw this thread because my 07 extended cab doors are driving me crazy. I'll try the electrical trick first then see if the different rubber pieces will work. thanks for this place.

Oh! How is it on a Ford forum that I see an ad for a Dodge Ram as I write this?
Old 07-10-2010, 08:39 AM
Uberhater,Troll,Whatever

Received 110 Likes on 49 Posts

I agree a DOOR shouldn't do that. I have a super-cab and the back "suicide doors" rattle on bumps. I just figured it was the lack of a center pillar where the front & back doors join that was the problem.

Quick Reply: Rattling rear doors on 06' SC