Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Rattling at low speeds?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling at low speeds?

So I've been noticing that at low speed (ex. Pulling through a drive thru at a fast food place) I can hear some sort of loud rattling coming from the engine. Any suggestions? Could it be cam phasers? Also how are can phaser issues diagnosed at dealerships? I have a powertrain warranty for about 4k more miles so if anything is wrong, id like to find it now.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:25 AM
s_vares

Received 430 Likes on 84 Posts

may just be the phasers adjusting for low rmp throttle tip in.
Its a normal sound if its not really loud.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by coolblue
So I've been noticing that at low speed (ex. Pulling through a drive thru at a fast food place) I can hear some sort of loud rattling coming from the engine. Any suggestions? Could it be cam phasers? Also how are can phaser issues diagnosed at dealerships? I have a powertrain warranty for about 4k more miles so if anything is wrong, id like to find it now.
I had a similar issue with my truck. It would only happen at a certain RPM, which was also dependent on engine temp. After some investigating I found that the intake hose was loose. It sits with a rubber mount on the driver's side part of the engine. The mount had come lose, and the hard plastic intake hose would rattle against the engine bay. I was able to re-secure it, and haven't heard the noise since!

Hope that helps!
Old 03-05-2012, 07:50 PM

my 07 4.2 rattles from the catalytic converter. its only when cold and/or low rpms.

Quick Reply: Rattling at low speeds?