Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Rattling in front of Truck.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rattling in front of Truck.

Hoping someone can help me with this, so here goes...I have a rattling in the front of my truck, it is really noticeable at lower speeds. All balljoints were replaced with Moog ones and tierods also appear to be okay. I'm not really feeling it in the steering system also.

Any ideas, has someone had this issue before? Wheel bearings were also replaced not to long ago also. Could it be the shocks (Bilstein 4600 series) or the lower control arm bushings?

04 2WD 4.6L F-150
Old 08-26-2014, 07:42 PM
F150 Life

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Where are you hearing the noise?? Passenger front side? or is it the driver's side?
Old 08-26-2014, 07:49 PM

Drivers side.

It sounds like something is loose in the suspension but for the life of me I can not find anything.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:51 PM
F150 Life

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Radar198
Drivers side.

It sounds like something is loose in the suspension but for the life of me I can not find anything.
hmm.. from what I've read before it sounds like your ball joints but you've already replaced them. I'll do some research as well and see if I can't find anything
Old 08-26-2014, 08:10 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Drivers side.

I get a rattling on the drivers side at low RPM under light acceleration. I think mine has something to do with the IWE because it goes away if I disconnect the vacuum supply. I know that improper vacuum levels would not allow the IWE to properly disengage from the axle but I would expect more of a ratcheting or grinding noise and mine is more like a rattle. A vacuum leak or issue with the vacuum supply usually occurs under heavy acceleration since that is when the engine is producing the least amount of vacuum, but in my case this happens under light acceleration, usually around 2000 RPM. Does that sound the same as yours?

In my case, I know that the IWE is properly disengaging at idle, but I don't have a vacuum pump to properly diagnose, I hope to get my hands on one in the next couple of weeks.

If the symptoms sound the same, you could try disconnecting the vacuum supply and see if the rattle goes away. The simplest way to do this is probably to remove the vacuum lines from the IWE solenoid located on the firewall by the battery. Plug the two lines, a couple of rivots work perfectly.

This won't solve your issue, but it will help to isolate the problem. I have been driving mine with the vacuum disconnected (causing the IWE's to stay engaged all the time) while I figure out what the cause is. If it is the IWE's it will save the splines from getting worn until you can figure out the cause.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:22 PM

I appreciate the detailed past fatedstranger and what you said should come in handy to someone else but mine is 2wd.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:50 PM

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

You don't happen to have a cold air intake on it do you?
Old 08-27-2014, 08:01 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I appreciate the detailed past fatedstranger and what you said should come in handy to someone else but mine is 2wd.
Doh! Missed that in your original post, sorry about that.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:01 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an 04 Lariat and a rattling sound also when going over small bumps in roadway. It's very noticeable if driving over a washboard type surface like a dirt road. I've looked at suspension and all seems to be proper. I'm beginning to think its body panels and trim vibrations. I can make a similar sound that I hear from in cab and driving if I strike the edge of the grill or hood trim with palm of my hand. I was doing this to bumper and it does vibrate slightly but grill trim really vibrates. I even raised the hood and looked from inside to see if any screws were loose and they weren't but there is play in the plastic tabs where the grill fits into housing. It is annoying
Old 08-27-2014, 08:32 AM
Force Trucker:)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ford123
You don't happen to have a cold air intake on it do you?
Mine does the same thing as being reported in this thread. I do have a CAI. Why would this cause the truck to rattle at low speeds over bumps?

Quick Reply: Rattling in front of Truck.