Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

ram air hoods

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ram air hoods

im going to try my luck with you guys since the boys over in 97-03 thing are to lazy to reply to my question..........so here it is. i was lookin to get a functional ram air hood through www.abcexclusive.com to put in my 2000 lariat and they have 2 that are only $450 which is extremely cheap by far compared to anybody else on the web. My question is and it my sound stupid so try and contain yourselves, can water (when driving in the rain) get dumped into the engine compartment and cause damage? the hole where the air comes in is right where the air filter would be and on my truck right below the air filter is some electrical stuff.

thanks for any help

Ps. i have k&N fipk and the hood comes with an adapter that goes with the stock air system can it still work?

Last edited by theville89; 06-06-2008 at 04:02 PM.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to admit that i had the same thought ....but think aobut how many hoods are sold. then buy it and put it on and enjoy it... I just bought a ram air hood for my 08 f150 screw and there will also be a screen in the opening yes a little water will get it but as long as you dont have open wires there it should be just fine. they also make a spray that you can use to coat wires to make them more water resistant. Post some pics when you get done with it.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by crazykarl
I have to admit that i had the same thought ....but think aobut how many hoods are sold. then buy it and put it on and enjoy it... I just bought a ram air hood for my 08 f150 screw and there will also be a screen in the opening yes a little water will get it but as long as you dont have open wires there it should be just fine. they also make a spray that you can use to coat wires to make them more water resistant. Post some pics when you get done with it.

well the thing about the wires is whats bothering me. its like a black box with a bunck of electrical wires plugged into it and i'm afraid that if it gets wet i'll short something out. cause like i said before the hole for the air is right above that and the only thing in between those two is my kn filter. But thanks for the reply dude.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what engine do you have? some of the ram air hoods that i have seen that are made to be real ram air work only on the 5.4. so if this is true then you will need to get the kit to hook it up to air box etc.. if you are wanting to utilize the ram air part. mine being a 4.6 , well they dont make a hood that i am aware of to utilize the ram air function... but still the looks are awesome.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:03 PM

i have the 5.4, but like i said the hood by abcexclusive comes with an adapter that goes onto the stock system so the air is forced right into that. i have k&N so there will just be air blowing straight down out of the hood onto everything on that side of the truck. if you go to www.abcexclusive.com you will be able to find it easy b/c they only make stuff for stangs, f150 (97-03), and dodge trucks.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:58 PM
none.

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

looking at that hood from the underside shows me that there are NO secondary drainage points for water like the GOOD quality ram air kits have. So, if you are concerned about water, then I would not personally waste the money on it.

Quick Reply: ram air hoods