Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Rail dust

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rail dust

Well ok so I buy the 08 FX4 supercab WHITE,, found rail dust? on truck the day after purchase(3 weeks ago). the stealership has had truck 2 weeks now claybaring,buffing,and who knows whatever else. I have made 2 trips to pickup the truck and still found the little orange spots. Now the guy is talking may need a paint job, is this eceptable?? new truck with a paint job???
Old 01-20-2009, 07:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Some times a new paint job is all that will take care of this situation. If not you may find your truck rusting in a few years. Rail dust fractures the paint and opens it up to further damage. If they want to repaint your truck let them do it.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:14 PM
Administrator

Received 1,683 Likes on 588 Posts

WTF is rail-dust?
Old 01-21-2009, 05:31 AM

Received 102 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by rplatt56
Some times a new paint job is all that will take care of this situation. If not you may find your truck rusting in a few years. Rail dust fractures the paint and opens it up to further damage. If they want to repaint your truck let them do it.
x's 2 on them painting my last truck was a dodge it came delivered with scratches (my fault for taking delivery live and learn) they refused to paint did detail it waste of time it would rain scratches came back and they even get this wet sanded them yea that worked HAA truck eventually started rusting (one of the MANY reasons I won't own a dodge anymore) point is if they want to paint let them paint
Old 01-21-2009, 06:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lenn
To answer your question......rail dust is an oxide that deposits from a vehicle sitting in the rail car in a rail head. The diesel soot and iron dust form like an acid rain. This happens if a unit has been sitting some length of time in area on rail car or in rail yard near where the trains are.
Solutions are not very good sounding to a customer that has just bought their "new" vehicle. Sometimes the only way to fix it is paint it.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:52 AM

i would let them paint it.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Received 1,683 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger2F150
Lenn
To answer your question......rail dust is an oxide that deposits from a vehicle sitting in the rail car in a rail head. The diesel soot and iron dust form like an acid rain. This happens if a unit has been sitting some length of time in area on rail car or in rail yard near where the trains are.
Solutions are not very good sounding to a customer that has just bought their "new" vehicle. Sometimes the only way to fix it is paint it.
Cool, Thanks.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

actually rail dust is the shavings caused by the iron wheels of the train contacting the iron rails. The rails are negatively charged and your truck is positively charged, so it acts like a magnet for the iron shavings. These shavings imbed into the paint and fracture it causing tiny rust spots to appear. If not corrected the rust will spread under the paint and cause major damage. I also experienced this on a 05 Dodge and had major troubles getting dodge to correct it.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:13 AM

My dealer told me that if i take it in with in the first 12 months or 12,000 miles they would fix it for free. I asked them about that when i bought my truck, they said it was in the clearcoat and that they would re-clearcot it, a 3-4 hour process.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:10 AM
Breaking the Silence...

I think I might of been a victim of rail dust....
What does it look like?..
When I bought my truck I notice on the left backside of the cab small golden specks with a rough texture to it (still looked shiny though)....possible rail dust? I took it back and the dealership gave me such a hardtime about it.. Eventually they ended repainting the area...
I was so pissed! The truck was not even 2 weeks old! Well now I have another problem... The other day I decided to buy the Z-bro wax for my truck and was prepping it... and found the same crap on the front left side of the hood! I need to take it back and see what can be done to fix it...
Well aside from all this .. I have one quick question.. is it possible for this stuff to affect the windshields?...

-Thanks

Quick Reply: Rail dust