Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Radio won't cut off... I've searched!! plz help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio won't cut off... I've searched!! plz help!

I have a 04 supercab 5.4 4x4. When I open the door the radio won't cut off. I've read the thread on this problem and the wire splices but haven't found anything. It causes the battery to go dead over night even though I turn the radio off. I don't have the same issues in the other threads like the door chime, interior lights or anything else just the radio staying on. Battery goes dead overnight and read 7-8 volts on the volt meter. Battery is a few months old Alternator is a year old and charges fine. Did find some corrosion around the battery terminals this morning when I had to jump the truck off.

Thanks for any help.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:38 AM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

This may not be of much help, but I'll start with a question. Did you just install the radio? If so It sounds like you wired the power wire to a constant power wire. If this is the case, its an easy fix. If you have a multimeter, take your radio back out and probe the wire that is connected to your radio's power wire. Connect one of the multimeter's leads to the wire(truck side) that you are using to power your radio, and the other lead of the multimeter to a good grounding point. If you do this with your ignition in the full off position, with the doors open, and you are still reading voltage, then that's your problem.

If you know for sure this isn't the case, then it would seem that you have a short in your wiring somewhere. If you don't have a multimeter, I would recommend getting one from Radio Shack. They are cheap, easy to use, and are great for this sort of thing. Good luck man.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:39 AM
Platinum Man Card

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

stock radio or aftermarket?
Old 12-12-2011, 12:27 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by militaryrednek
stock radio or aftermarket?
+1
Old 12-12-2011, 05:02 PM

Its the stock radio, everything is stock. The only other prob is one of my interior lights isn't working but it seems to be a burnt out bulb or something becasue the other two work. I'd think a short bad enough to pull the battery down from 12 volts to 7 volts over night would blow a fuse. should the battery saver relay prevent this?
Old 12-12-2011, 05:26 PM

Sounds like a bad RAP to me and you need to get this checked out. If the computer that controls the RAP in your vehicle is shot which I believe is wired in with the BCM you could be looking at a costly amount... but it could also be nothing more than a bad radio that doesn't open its circuit when the power source turns off. Try another radio just for giggles if you can if not you need to test the switched power source and see if the reading goes from 0-12 volts with the ignition switched to on, and from 12-0 volts with the ignition turned off. One more thing being the door pin switch could be faulty which in turn doesn't send a signal to the computer telling it to shut down RAP power.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:30 PM

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

try spraying some wd-40 down in the latch, i know this is a common problem in the older fords to, but with the dome light staying on. the dome light will automatically go out after 15 min i think.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:47 PM

Well I was just troubleshooting it and it turns out that the windows will also roll up and down with the door open and ign off. Everything else still works, door chime, interior lights etc. etc. etc. Does that door switch control the radio and windows? Thanks for all the reply's!
Old 12-12-2011, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by psitsi
Well I was just troubleshooting it and it turns out that the windows will also roll up and down with the door open and ign off. Everything else still works, door chime, interior lights etc. etc. etc. Does that door switch control the radio and windows? Thanks for all the reply's!
Mmm no rap is nothing more than retained accessory power so high average items like that should not still be operational. It sounds almost like either an ignition problem or a bcm problem. Check to see if your ignition wires are turning off after you turn the cylinder to off.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:48 PM

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

i bet its your switch sticking on the latch.

Quick Reply: Radio won't cut off... I've searched!! plz help!