Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

radio turn off/ dome light issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio turn off/ dome light issues

ive done some research but havent gotten a straight answer yet. my truck is a 04 screw new body style. and im having issues with the radio not turning off when i open the door (while key is out of ignition) and dome lights are not turning on when i open the door. ive read numerous things that its either some purple wire that needs to be replaced on the drivers side under the pillar, or the bcm. does anyone have a clear answer to my problem? i havent disconneted the battery just yet, will do sometime today.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:52 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the same truck as you it does the same exact thing your talkin about, never knew there was a fix for it..
Old 11-14-2012, 03:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Same here. Looking forward to whatever answers come up.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:44 PM

well disconnecting the battery didnt work. it has to be either the purple wire that im reading about or the bcm. right?
Old 11-14-2012, 06:39 PM

I have this issue to and someone i know at the ford dealership near me told me it was the door switch, But I never got around to looking at it. if you fix it please post what you found the problem was.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:51 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Had the same issue and found a purple with a pink stripe wire that was in two in the drivers side kick panel. Might have been pink with purple stripe cant remember. The wire does run all the way down the cab under the trim piece between the carpet and door. You'll have to hunt for it, there are a lot of wires in that tray. All I did was spliced and heat shrink tube. Good as new
Old 12-22-2012, 11:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thought I had it fixed!! rear driver door, found the purple wire, found the factory splice, opened the tape up and corroded like crazy, re spliced, taped back up, didn't fix it.

I also had a bunch of water in the tray where the wires lay. Probably my 4 year old not closing door all the way and it getting rained/snowed on! Super right!

Going to have to follow wire all the back and forth I guess.

My problem is the radio won't turn off when I go to get out of truck. I have no dome light when opening any of the 4 doors.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:25 PM

well i have yet to tackle this project, but what i have been finding that helps is just shake the wires. its quick and easy, take that little pillar off to get to the wires and give them a good shake. it doesnt work just quite yet, but will eventually
Old 05-23-2013, 09:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This may or may not help, but check the wiring that runs between the cab and driver's door. They're prone to breaking and can cause all kinds of strange problems. Link to youtube video below. Also, the water in the wiring chase is likely from a leaky 3rd brake light seal. Both are very common problems.

Quick Reply: radio turn off/ dome light issues