Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

a radio question

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a radio question

I just picked up a 2007 f150 4x4 a week ago, nice shape, 94k on it. The radio doesn't work (oem). I did extensive google searches to find answers and finally figured out the the previous owner or someone, had pulled fuse 22 and left it empty. I put a fuse in there today and now the tuner section works but no audio! I suspect that the amplifier might be toast but wondered if I missed something else? I've checked fuses 1,7, and 31 besides putting 22 in.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:55 PM

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

just replace the radio, aftermarket radios aren't expensive. It seems like it is shot.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:50 AM

Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

Before you too far down the replacement road, make sure the previous owner didn't hack up your wiring. A bad place to discover that is at a stereo shop $$$$. Also, and I hope this isn't the case with you, but make sure the speakers are in it. Sounds crazy, but happened to someone on a mustang board I follow. Head unit wouldn't power, but he bought the car because he was going aftermarket. Found out previous owner had been running aftermarket speakers, and removed them all for his new ride. he had just installed the factory head unit back as a 'hole filler'. Wire behind it was all chopped up. Bottom line...check the basics first.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

even if the sub amp went out, the door speakers would still be playing. I think you either have wiring issues, or the radio is toast, pull it and make sure the previous owner didn't have an after market radio installed, hatched up the wiring, and quickly stuck the OEM radio back in not connecting the original wiring back up.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:13 AM

update, I was going to go buy an antenna adaptor, (who knew those were needed?) for an aftermarket radio, went over a bump and oem radio came on! Of course, the next large bump turned it back off. So, speakers are there. Installed the Clarion unit and it wouldn't even turn on. I checked with a VOM and had voltage where it was required at the radios' back. It should have powered on, but did not. Now waiting on Amazon to send a replacement.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:28 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Mulestang
Before you too far down the replacement road, make sure the previous owner didn't hack up your wiring. A bad place to discover that is at a stereo shop $$$$. Also, and I hope this isn't the case with you, but make sure the speakers are in it. Sounds crazy, but happened to someone on a mustang board I follow. Head unit wouldn't power, but he bought the car because he was going aftermarket. Found out previous owner had been running aftermarket speakers, and removed them all for his new ride. he had just installed the factory head unit back as a 'hole filler'. Wire behind it was all chopped up. Bottom line...check the basics first.
Seeing a factory radio wire harness hacked up would certainly tick me off, especially when there are several manufacturers that make a "plug and play" harness for aftermarket radio installs for 15 bucks or less, that plug right into the factory wiring harness.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:50 PM

Okay, it appears now that there is a speaker wire(s) touching ground somewhere. Hopefully I can find it without tearing everything apart!
Old 03-11-2015, 10:12 AM

So, the previous owner had, for some unknown reason, attached a white wire to the speaker wire on the passenger side front door, ran it through the door boot, and there it sat, making intermittent contact with the glove box frame. Removed wire, as I could see no useful purpose for it, and now the oem radio works fine. I still think I'm going to install the Clarion unit since it has bluetooth capability. I guess that I did not know that 1 speaker, shorting to ground would basically shut down the radio!

Quick Reply: a radio question