Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Radio Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 08:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Radio Help

Hey guys, 06 Lariat 143,000. I have a stock CD/radio in my truck and lately the reception is just terrible, I can barely get any stations. I'm not too savvy with the electronics and like the look of the stock CD/radio but was wondering what the issue might be? could the antenna have come disconnected? also, another question, I know some of these came with an aux input on the dash but mine did not, would I be able to buy a cable and run the aux input out somewhere? do all these radios have an aux input in them? I have a Delphi Connect installed so my truck has Wi-Fi, and I have an iphone so I would be able to just run music through an aux if I can hook one up. thanks for the help guys
Old 04-07-2016, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah sounds to me it came unplugged somewhere along the line, try disconnecting the antenna and if it doesnt do anything then its disconnected somewhere along the line, if you do notice a difference when you disconnect it then everything should be good least on the cable part.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:54 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Open the glove box, then squeeze the sides to allow the door to drop completely down. You'll then have a good view of the antenna line, and one of its connectors. Verify it did not get separated here. If this connection is good, the next step would be to check the connection into the radio. You'll have to remove the center dash bezel to get at the radio. If that's good, then comes the PITA removal of the antenna itself; its cable routes through the inner wheel well housing to the inner fender and into the passenger dash area where the first connection is seen, behind the glove box door.

If I suspected the physical antenna and its cable that runs to the dash, I'd open the glove box door all the way down as explained, then attach a temporary antenna at this connection junction and see if the reception improves before I go through removal of it on the front fender.

If it does not improve, then the radio itself is suspect.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 04-08-2016 at 05:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
UGA_Lariat (06-11-2019)
Old 04-08-2016, 09:45 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Check to make sure that the actual antenna is screwed in securely. It could easily have worked its way loose or someone could have messed with it and loosened it.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:32 PM

So I was able to pull the glove box out and inspect all the connections, and even popped the hood and inspected the antenna connection under the fender. All seemed well, after the I inspected all of that the radio seems to be working fine again, when I was inspecting the wire I made sure everything was plugged in tight, must have tightened something down and did not notice it. Anyways, now does anyone know if I would be able to plug in an auxiliary cable to the back of the head unit and run it out somewhere to plug in my phone for music?
The following users liked this post:
BHaynes (09-04-2019)
Old 04-11-2016, 08:01 PM
Ford Man

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is an adapter you can add I think I looked it up on Crutchfield a while back an it was @$65. It connects to a CAN bus that is part of the Head unit.

My Radio died prior to buying the adapter and I got a Alpine unit with no CD and USB, Aux, and blue tooth for the Phone for less than $100.00 plus the adapter and Dual DIN filler which gives a great pocket to put your phone in.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:48 PM

Well it dawned on me today, I feel like a complete idiot for not noticing it before but it seems that when I have my phone plugged into the 12v charging that is when the radio goes out. I jumped in my truck today, good song was on, turned it up, plugged in my phone and it was gone. Unplugged my phone and the song came back!
Old 04-13-2016, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator

Received 338 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by JoKers06
Well it dawned on me today, I feel like a complete idiot for not noticing it before but it seems that when I have my phone plugged into the 12v charging that is when the radio goes out. I jumped in my truck today, good song was on, turned it up, plugged in my phone and it was gone. Unplugged my phone and the song came back!
I was just about to suggest that something in your truck was noisy.

Good thing you saw it was your 12v 5v adapter. I can tell you, some of them are so so cheap that they throw off RFI like whoa.

I have one of these in my truck now, plugged in full time, doesn't throw RFI and works well.
Old 06-28-2019, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by Stever761; 06-28-2019 at 03:37 PM. Reason: wrong thread

Quick Reply: Radio Help