Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Radio Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 12:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Radio Help

Hello all,

I'm wondering if anyone has had any experiences with their stock 6CD changer (for 2006 F150) scratching their CDs? I recently bought 2 and all of the sudden they are skipping. I'm not sure if this could be an issue with the unit or maybe it just need a cleaning? If it can't be remedied I am looking into aftermarket radios, and this is where I need the real help. I have found 3 that I'm interested in, but not quite sure if they're compatable/will fit/are of decent quality.

First (and cheapest):

Boss 822UA, $81 on amazon.

Amazon.com: Boss 822UA In-Dash Double-Din CD/MP3 Receiver with Front Panel AUX Input, USB, SD Card: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Boss 822UA In-Dash Double-Din CD/MP3 Receiver with Front Panel AUX Input, USB, SD Card: Car Electronics

Second (I really like this one but not sure if it will fit):

Boss Audio Systems 870DBI , $107 Amazon

Amazon.com: Boss Audio Systems 870DBI Multimedia Receivers: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Boss Audio Systems 870DBI Multimedia Receivers: Car Electronics

Third (I know this one will be compatable but don't know the quality):

Pioneer FH-X700BT, $130 Amazon

Amazon.com : Pioneer FH-X700BT In-Dash Double DIN CD/MP3/USB Car Stereo Receiver w/ Bluetooth, Pandora Link, MIXTRAX & iPod Support : Vehicle Receivers : Electronics Amazon.com : Pioneer FH-X700BT In-Dash Double DIN CD/MP3/USB Car Stereo Receiver w/ Bluetooth, Pandora Link, MIXTRAX & iPod Support : Vehicle Receivers : Electronics

Any help with my original problem, or advice on these aftermarket units is greatly appreciated!
Old 02-27-2014, 03:11 PM
"Why Leave it Stock?"

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Well, I'm not sure I had problems with mine scratching the CD, but the 6-Disk in my Lariat finally ate one of my ZZ Top CD's one day. That's when I decided to get a touch screen, and bought a Kenwood DDX-419. Long story short, I ended up having to physically take the factory one apart to get my CD back. In my opinion, I would go with an aftermarket unit. If you get a halfway decent one, you'll be blown away with the quality of music they put out.
The following users liked this post:
Crow27 (02-27-2014)
Old 02-27-2014, 03:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, I think that I'm going to go with the Pioneer. I have Pandora and an Iphone, so bluetooth will be great for hands-free. Touch screen would be too fancy for me.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:48 PM
"Why Leave it Stock?"

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Crow27
Thanks, I think that I'm going to go with the Pioneer. I have Pandora and an Iphone, so bluetooth will be great for hands-free. Touch screen would be too fancy for me.
That sounds like a good choice. My Kenwood has the Bluetooth for both hands free calling and music streaming on my iPhone, and now I can't imagine having a radio without it, it's practically the coolest thing since sliced bread.

Only other thing I can recommend is to make sure you get a good install kit, so it looks OEM. And, make sure you get an ASWC if you have factory steering wheel control buttons.

Let us know how it goes!

Oh, and one more thing. Of you don't already have one, you might want to check out a factory subwoofer for under the back seat if you have a Scab or a Screw. If you are putting in am aftermarket stereo anyway, it makes it a breeze. All you have to do is get an inexpensive adapter and the sub box, and you'll be surprised how much depth you will get from your music. It won't rattle the car next to you, but it will make the quality of audio 100x better.

Anyway, my two cents.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:50 PM
Just Creepin

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Pioneer all the way. All the top brands are great, but I notice pioneer always gives the biggest bamg for your buck at every price point. It may not always be much and may be something you wouldnt care about (like 1 usb vs 2) so take what im saying for what its worth. It will mostly come down to how you like the looks and, if given the chance, how you like the interface and ease of use.

Personally have always used pioneer. Just put the X8500bhs in my truck, my first double din and love it. Itsa 2013 model. The 5600bhs replaces it but it lost some key features I wanted. So do lots of research. Look and different websites. Get every feature you can for your money!

Quick Reply: Radio Help