Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Late Model F150s > 2004 - 2008 Ford F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to F150 Forum!
Welcome to F150 Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 11-12-2008, 08:07 AM   #1
5 Year Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Radio codes?

Do the stock radios that are used for the Ford F150's require a code to activate? I ask because I purchased a 6 CD/MP3/AM/FM Audiophile radio about a month ago off of a salvage yard ad on EBAY. The radio worked from the get go, meaning that I mearly installed it in my dash, and it powered up and worked. I did not need a "radio code".

This morning, I started the truck up, hit the power button, and I have no audio output. The display shows the time, the radio station, the volume display, etc. It does not however have any audio. Worked fine last night. I plan to remove it's fuse to try a "power reset", although I think I'm wasting time.

Anyhow, do these radios ever require a code if they loose power? I would have thought it would have prompted me for one when I initially installed it.
I'm puzzeled as to why the audio just up and quit on me.

2005 F150 STX Regular Cab (4.2 liter V6)
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:16 AM   #2
I NOM NOM NOM Threads...
5 Year Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

There is no radio code that I am aware of, esp if it worked and then just quit suddenly. :-(

http://www.f150forum.com/f53/new-cla...iately-121371/
Franchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:04 PM   #3
Notorious Thread Editor
5 Year Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to SinCityFX4 Send a message via Yahoo to SinCityFX4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucko View Post
Do the stock radios that are used for the Ford F150's require a code to activate? I ask because I purchased a 6 CD/MP3/AM/FM Audiophile radio about a month ago off of a salvage yard ad on EBAY. The radio worked from the get go, meaning that I mearly installed it in my dash, and it powered up and worked. I did not need a "radio code".

This morning, I started the truck up, hit the power button, and I have no audio output. The display shows the time, the radio station, the volume display, etc. It does not however have any audio. Worked fine last night. I plan to remove it's fuse to try a "power reset", although I think I'm wasting time.

Anyhow, do these radios ever require a code if they loose power? I would have thought it would have prompted me for one when I initially installed it.
I'm puzzeled as to why the audio just up and quit on me.

The installers at A/V place usually have the device that re-sets the radios from the theft mode (if that is what it is). Ask one of the salesmen over the phone it they know, then just go round back and toss the guy $20 and ask him to reset it.
Sorry, It's all I got on that angle.

Thx to the sig 's at http://screenfx.ipbfree.com
SinCityFX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 04:54 PM   #4
5 Year Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Update: Got into the truck this afternoon, pushed the volume button, and the radio works (plenty of audio). I'm puzzled on this, as I used to work on circuit boards many years ago on an assembly test line.

We did have one day of good rain here in Dallas, however the radio worked fine that whole rainy day, so I ruled out moisture.

Perhaps a cold solder joint on the circuit board. I have no clue. If it happens again, I'll take it out and put in an aftermarket unit.

Thanks to the poster that mentioned these particular radios do not require an unlock code. I did find a radio repair site (good old google). It mentioned a common fault of the 2003 to 2008 radios with CD's; the CD(s) can get stuck and not load/unload. It said to remove the negative battery lead for about 10 minutes to allow the radio to "reset".

Instead of that, I'd just remove fuse #3 for about 5 to 10 minutes (radio fuse). This way I do not effect the ECU/ECM memory.

2005 F150 STX Regular Cab (4.2 liter V6)
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 04:54 PM