Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Radiator transmission fittings question

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Radiator transmission fittings question

It's not an F-150 but, it's a 2006 Expedition with the 5.4 so, it should be pretty much the same as a 2006 F-150 for the issue I'm having.

My searches have resulted in no answers that relate to what I need/want to do. Does anyone know a part number or item description of what I would need to remove the quick-connect fittings on the driver's side of the transmission so I can convert them to a normal flared-end connection?
My lines are rusted badly and leaking. I have two 60" sticks of 3/8" tubing and plan on bending my own lines and I can double-flare the ends but, I have no way to make new quick-connections and the lines are too rusted to just cut and use a compression fitting to connect my new lines.
If I knew what the thread size and pitch were, I could probably find a fitting that would work or if anyone has already done this and can tell me it's x-fitting you can find at autozone or lowe's, etc. I would greatly appreciate it!!
Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can provide!!
Old 10-02-2016, 02:40 PM

This is the fitting I am referring to. It's on the driver's side of the transmission. I want to replace it with a standard flare fitting.
Name:  transmission%20line%20fittings%20expedition_zpsdps1zwz4.jpg
Views: 5786
Size:  270.6 KB
Old 10-03-2016, 04:58 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Why do you want to change it?
Old 10-03-2016, 05:52 PM

The lines are rusted very badly! The section you see in the pic is ok and I can just bend a line and do a flare connection but, the bottom one is rusted too badly to use any portion of it. So, I need to do a different connection.

Wait a minute!! Maybe I should have asked this question before! What does the line look like after it goes into the quick-connect? Is there a special tip or is it just a straight line? If it's just a straight line, then I'm in good shape! If not, then I still need a different connector.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:58 PM

I just watched a video of the line removal and there is a small shoulder on the line that the connector locks onto so, I'm going to have to do a conversion to a flare-style connection. Once I have the part that goes in the radiator converted to a flare-style, I can flare my line and bend it and be done!
Old 10-03-2016, 07:00 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You obviously have a flare tool, just cut the line several inches out of the trans and flare it there. Same for the other end.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:21 PM

But, a flared end won't work with the quick-connect at the radiator. I'm replacing the two sections from the radiator to the swaged hose connections. For whatever mystical reason, the lines past there are just fine!
Old 10-04-2016, 10:37 AM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

I would say to just buy new lines from OE, but if you're really in a pinch for money, just cut the ends off use compression fittings to join to the new lines.
Old 10-05-2016, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by nrivera04
I would say to just buy new lines from OE, but if you're really in a pinch for money, just cut the ends off use compression fittings to join to the new lines.

That's what I had done but, the lower line was so rough, the fittings wouldn't seal even after sanding so...

Since the upper line is in good enough shape to flare and connect new lines, I decided to go by the dealer. The lower line was $43 with tax so, I ordered it and I'll replace it with new and then make up a new line for the upper. Thanks for all the input everyone!!

Quick Reply: Radiator transmission fittings question