Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Radiator Replacement Delima

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator Replacement Delima

So, for starters, my 2007 FX4 needs a radiator replacement. Looks like my recent cooling system flush uncovered a small leak. WooHoo!

Can someone help me find an appropriate replacement?

According to my VIN, my truck came with the "super cooling" option and the radiator seems to be the original. However, I cant be sure because I purchased the truck used. The radiator has a 1" thick core.

So, I call the local NAPA to get a repllacement on the way and they ask me if I have a 1" or 2" core.

This some what confuses me because I would assume that the larger core would be the "super cooling" option.

Can someone confirm what the real difference is between the standard and super cooling radiators. I have searched and havent found a clear answer. I have seen people say that the larger core is the "super cooling", and I have seen others say that the only difference is the number of fins/inch.

Even though my radiator is the 1" core, I went ahead and purchased the 2" core. Does anyone see any reason why I couldnt use the larger one? Is it worth the extra money to use it?
Old 11-22-2015, 05:27 PM
Senior

Received 119 Likes on 112 Posts

If it has a 1" installed I would stay with that option for ease of install (no brackets to modify). The difference not in fins but tubes that water flows in, they are set up in rows. My old truck had "three rows" when I look inside the radiator (which is a cross flow [passenger side top to drivers side bottom]) I can see the tubes in a line 3 in a row front to rear. I think a 1" is a 3 row system but I may be wrong.

Hope this helps
Old 11-22-2015, 06:01 PM

Thanks for your answer Ghostrider.

I dont think there will be any brackets to modify if i use the larger radiator. All of the mounting locations seem to be the same. I know it doesnt sound like they would be, but maybe I can explain....

The radiator actually mounts to the truck on the two moulded plastic tanks on either side of the radiator core. These plastic tanks seem to be the same size and shape between the two radiators. The only difference is the thickness of the core between the two plastic tanks. Here is a picture to help explain.

It looks like it will fit but you may be right and I will run into some other fitment issues.

But if everything drops in and bolts up fine, do you think there is any benefit to using the larger core?
Old 11-22-2015, 06:26 PM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

If it fits there will be no adverse affect. The larger core will have more capacity for longer sustained heavy duty cooling. The thermostat will still allow the engine to come up to operating temperature quickly.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:01 PM
Senior

Received 119 Likes on 112 Posts

As Joe said if everything bolt in You will have the extra cooling for heavy load/towing. The thermostat will maintain the engine temp. The only problem I can see is on extremely cold days it might take a little longer to get to running temp as there is so much coolant.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:24 PM

Thanks guys for your input. I dont think I will be runing into many extremely cold days here in TX, but with our weather you never know! HaHa I guess I will find out tomorrow if it will fit.

I am still confused about what Fords "super cooling" actually is. Like I said, when you pull up my VIN it shows that my truck is equiped with "super cooling". However, the original radiator in my truck is the 1". Anyone have an explanation?
Old 11-22-2015, 08:51 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

The additional cooling package is probably in the form of transmission cooling. Usually the standard package has a cooling coil in the cold side tank of the rad. The super cool will have an additional air cooler out front somewhere. If the thicker radiator fits with no issues, by all means use it.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:18 PM

Received 665 Likes on 517 Posts

You will need a special line fitting tool to get the tranny lines out of the radiator. You can order it online for $10.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:51 PM

Yep, I've got them.
I thought it was kind of interesting that the new radiator came with the tool also!
Old 06-21-2016, 09:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you ever find out specifics about the differences in thickness? I'm not sure what I currently have, but I do need to replace my radiator because it's leaking. The thicker core is about $120 more, and I'm not sure which I should purchase. Also, did you encounter any problems during the R/R?

Quick Reply: Radiator Replacement Delima