Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Racho vs Rough Country

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Racho vs Rough Country

Hello All,

This is my number one place to find info for my screw. I can't seem to find an answer to this so I'm going to ask the experts. I am new to lifts and currently debating between the 4" Rancho and the 6" Rough Country lift kits. Am I correct when I see the Rough Country comes with spacers for the front struts and the Rancho does not??? From the pics on the rancho site I can't see any spacers for the struts??? If not, how does it get the "lift" ??? If it does, do all suspension lifts have spacers for the struts??? Also the Rough Country comes with front struts and the Rancho does not so I will have to purchase new rancho's or use the factory, correct??? If I have to buy new struts with the rancho lift should I just buy the Bilstein 5100's??? I also am looking to get 35x12.50R17x10. Backspacing is like reading chinese for me. Stock is 6, rancho says to use 6 but Rough Country says to use 4.5-5.5, so opinions on the different backspace??? Will the 5BS stick out further??? Thanks for any and all assistance with this.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:35 AM

If your already debating between a 4 and a 6" go ahead and go with a 6". I just bought a rough country 6" for mine because great price and lifetime warranty. And I dont know much about rancho lift but mine has a 6" spacer in the front on top of the factory strut and a 6" block under the leaf springs and also shocks in the back.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:19 AM

Thanks for your response. Whats the difference between the 6" spacer that the rough country comes with versus the 3" leveling kit that you can buy. They both come with spacers for the struts right??? Wouldn't the put the control arm at an even harsher angle if you put a 6" spacer in?
Old 01-12-2012, 01:33 AM
"Lifted"

Received 223 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by justa2e2
Thanks for your response. Whats the difference between the 6" spacer that the rough country comes with versus the 3" leveling kit that you can buy. They both come with spacers for the struts right??? Wouldn't the put the control arm at an even harsher angle if you put a 6" spacer in?
The Rancho 4" doesnt have spacers.. Another member reported that his Rancho gave him about 5.25" of lift... I'm guessing the 6" would be close to 7" if not more... I will be doing the Rancho this summer..
Old 01-12-2012, 04:18 AM

I was also thinking if I go ahead and get the rough country or any other brand that just comes with spacers in the front can't I just order the Bilstein coil overs in the front and not use the spacers??? I guess I'm just confused when some come with coil overs and others come with spacers??? Are the coilovers that come with the kits actually 6 inches longer than my stock struts???
Old 01-12-2012, 05:04 AM
"Lifted"

I was also thinking if I go ahead and get the rough country or any other brand that just comes with spacers in the front can't I just order the Bilstein coil overs in the front and not use the spacers??? I guess I'm just confused when some come with coil overs and others come with spacers??? Are the coilovers that come with the kits actually 6 inches longer than my stock struts???
Its a design for the kit.. I dont have a photo but from walking past trucks that had them it seemed like it pushes the whole strut assembly down.. Dont think the blisten's would accomplish that on its own
Old 01-12-2012, 05:26 AM

From the pics I have seen the spacer does push the strut assembly down. I really don't want to use spacers I would rather just get new struts and not deal with spacers. I see the rancho kit just uses the factory spring without a spacer to achieve the added lift (I believe), so If I replace the rancho struts and factory spring with the Bilstein adjustable coilovers I would be able to adjust for another 1 inch higher (to level to have it bulldog a little) or are the Bilstein struts the same size as the factory ones (I'm thinking the ones in the rancho kit are larger than factory)?

Trending Topics

Old 01-12-2012, 06:07 AM
"Lifted"

From the pics I have seen the spacer does push the strut assembly down. I really don't want to use spacers I would rather just get new struts and not deal with spacers. I see the rancho kit just uses the factory spring without a spacer to achieve the added lift (I believe), so If I replace the rancho struts and factory spring with the Bilstein adjustable coilovers I would be able to adjust for another 1 inch higher (to level to have it bulldog a little) or are the Bilstein struts the same size as the factory ones (I'm thinking the ones in the rancho kit are larger than factory)?
Yes... The Rancho doesnt use huge spacer.. Rancho also has their own adjustable shocks... Its an option to upgrade when buying the kit

Quick Reply: Racho vs Rough Country