Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Quick wiring question...

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 10:49 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Question Quick wiring question...

ok so in my truck i have an avic f90bt and i hooked up a rearview camera...right now everything is setup so that the camera only goes on when i have the truck in reverse....but the head unit has the option to turn the rear view on while driving so i was thinking about setting it up so that i can do that....but im just not 100% sure on how i can do that...i know i can have it run into the actual tail light but then it will only work if i put the lights on (which isnt a big deal if thats what i need to do) but i wanted to know if there is any constant power wire in that area of the tail light i could jump the camera to so that i can have a constant feed?

thanks
Old 11-12-2010, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't believe that there is any constant power at the rear of the truck.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:15 PM

ahh alright...didnt really think so either...ill just jump into the reg tail light and just turn the lights on when i want to drive with the rear view on during day
Old 11-12-2010, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by F-1Fizzy
ahh alright...didnt really think so either...ill just jump into the reg tail light and just turn the lights on when i want to drive with the rear view on during day
The closest thing I can think of that has constant power is the rear power port. Well my screw has one...don't know about your truck.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What about the 7pin wiring on the trailer hitch plug? I believe it has a 12v constant to charge and run batteries on a trailer when plugged in. That is if you have a 7 pin, if not the wiring may still be in the frame somewhere.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I wanted to know if there is any constant power wire in that area of the tail light i could jump the camera to so that i can have a constant feed?

If you do have factory tow package you should indeed have power in the 7 pin connector. It DOES require installation of the relay(s) in the package that should have been in the LF door pocket though for it to work. There are instructions in the package if you don't already have the relay(s) installed. Just use a wire tap where the wires come back to the 7 pin plug.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:03 AM

ok so in my truck i have an avic f90bt and i hooked up a rearview camera...right now everything is setup so that the camera only goes on when i have the truck in reverse....but the head unit has the option to turn the rear view on while driving so i was thinking about setting it up so that i can do that....but im just not 100% sure on how i can do that...i know i can have it run into the actual tail light but then it will only work if i put the lights on (which isnt a big deal if thats what i need to do) but i wanted to know if there is any constant power wire in that area of the tail light i could jump the camera to so that i can have a constant feed?

thanks
The other option you might have is your tv should have a button that you can manually turn the camera on. But I don't know what kind of setup you have... I have a cd/dvd player in dash tv that works when I put it in reverse or I can manually turn it on. hope this helps
Old 11-15-2010, 07:49 AM

I can only turn mine on when i have it in reverse bc the cameras power supply is the reverse light so it only turns on when truck is put in reverse....but i tried wiring it up differently so it'll go right on in reverse and while in drive manually....but it makes it work all screwy and not how i wanted it to so i put it back to the original way
Old 11-15-2010, 05:11 PM

I can only turn mine on when i have it in reverse bc the cameras power supply is the reverse light so it only turns on when truck is put in reverse....but i tried wiring it up differently so it'll go right on in reverse and while in drive manually....but it makes it work all screwy and not how i wanted it to so i put it back to the original way
You can run a toggle switch to it for when you want it on manually too. Run a power wire from you battery with a fuse behind the fire wall of course.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:32 PM

it wasnt that big of a deal for me...was just something i wanted to do if it would not be a hassle...so i tried what i did and not workin same...so no biggie.

Quick Reply: Quick wiring question...