Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

quick question!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 06:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default quick question!!!

If you disconnect the BAttery for 24 hours to let the computer reset will it remove a tune is installed with a tuner? Does it depend on the tuner? Just wondering because the truck feels quite slugish after I had mine disconnected.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:32 PM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

You only need to disconnect you battery for 20 mins to re-set and no it will not erase an installed tune from the ECU. there is a re-learn procedure after re-set...look at you owners manual.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:35 AM

Received 63 Likes on 60 Posts

X2 on techrep, the tune is in the flash memory, it *should* be permanent unless it gets spiked somehow (which can happen - but very rare). If it was spiked though, I'd more likely think you'd have a blank program which the trunk wouldn't run at all. Again, very very rare. When it rewrites the ECU, it's in a non-volatile (more permanent) memory.

Anytime you disconnect the battery though, there is technically a learn procedure. There's minimal parameters that the computer learns to your driving. The specifications aren't typically much... you may also need to do the accelerator pedal calibration. I can't remember the link for that, hopefully someone will provide it .

Last edited by homer; 03-15-2014 at 01:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
techrep (03-15-2014)
Old 03-15-2014, 10:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had it disconnected for the 24 hours because i was doing the timing chains\kit works and found that it was easier to just get it out of the way. I did the relearn as well. letting it idle for 10 minutes or so, then with the AC on for about the same. Now it runs very smooth but feels like it doesnt want to advance the timing really at all. I just went ahead and redid the tune just to be at peice if you will. Its an old tuner anyways im not sure how great it is... Thanks for the info though

Quick Reply: quick question!!!