Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Questions about my 05 FX4

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 08:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Questions about my 05 FX4

First off, I am sure some of these questions will seem basic for most of you. Although I am learning and can do all the routine maintenance myself, my expertise lies in trains not trucks! I want to make sure I give my truck the best care I can and sometimes that means asking for help as embarrassing as that might be. My truck has 77,XXX miles, and I changed the oil at 75,000 with Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W-20 and a Motorcraft filter. It also has a 3 inch lift (based on what the previous owner told me). All the brakes have been replaced within 1,000 miles and the front end (shocks, ball joints etc) were cleared as being ok. That being said...

I have more or less resigned myself to the fact that I will need my cam phasers, lash adjusters etc replaced. Thing sounds like a Cummins. I know there are many subjects on that here (I have read many!) so I wont ask for specific help but how much would a good mechanic charge for that work, assuming its straight forward once the problem is identified? I am bracing for a $1,000 - $1,500 price tag.

How rough of an idle is too rough? Sitting at a standstill once hot, in PARK, I can definitely feel it rumbling. Nothing shaking per say, but I can definitely feel it. Most of the time when I put it in DRIVE it goes away. Am I being too OCD?

How should the suspension feel? This is probably more OCD than anything. How much should I be able to feel when I am going over bumps? It feels like my Silverado had more give, and my F-150 is more apt to bounce you a bit. Not a huge issue, more of an annoyance.

I may need to clean my AirRaid air filter, not sure when it was last done. Could that be causing any of my idle issues?

I have read about the fuel pump module needing to be replaced, but with the temps currently at 0 its hard to find motivation. Could this be something causing my issues as well, or is it just an overall good idea to change?

This was covered in another thread, but I can feel everything through my steering wheel. All the little bumps and whatnot. Someone said it was a plastic piece broken off on the steering linkage, and while annoying, would not cause anymore damage. Anymore thought?

Lastly, I am going to look into cleaning the throttle body and MAF (?) as it seems those are recommended to help rough idles. Is that pretty easy to do? How much time would you say I will need to be outside? With temps dipping below zero soon thats a big concern.

Thanks in advance for all your questions and I apologize for looking like a rookie! I use the search function frequently here and try not to burden! I'll keep learning!
Old 12-28-2014, 09:27 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow that's alot of questions! I have a 04 and a rough idle foe these trucks is common but if you know if the spark us have not been changed you could be misfiring. That I would not do myself due to the potential of them breaking. Cleaning a mass air sensor and throttle body is really easy and should not take more than 30 mins. I would look up youtube vids on most this stuff on how to do.
The following users liked this post:
coborn35 (12-29-2014)
Old 12-28-2014, 10:15 PM

Received 353 Likes on 285 Posts

For starters, I would remove the aftermarket air filter and replace with stock and clean the MAF.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:22 PM

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug06fx4screw
For starters, I would remove the aftermarket air filter and replace with stock and clean the MAF.
I wouldn't
Old 12-28-2014, 10:30 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The only advantage you get from a aftermarket CAI is the sound. You will not get enough gain to make a difference. The 5.4 has a nasty growl stock anyway.
coborn35 (12-29-2014)
Old 12-28-2014, 10:45 PM

Received 1,180 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Feeling the idle is normal on these. Just the way these trucks are. Definitely a noticeable vibration in park.
coborn35 (12-29-2014)
Old 12-28-2014, 11:03 PM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

Answers to most of your questions:
A new paper air filter would be a good thing.
Check your shocks - they may be due for replacement. May be adjustable if they have been replaced. If they are originals, they are due.
As for the cam phasers - no codes and the truck runs good - let them be until there is a reason for alarm.
The FPDM - the biggest part of this job is to lower the spare tire. take the two bolts loose ad unsnap the wiring connector. look at the underside of the FPDM. If there is much corrosion, get a new one from Amazon. No corrosion, paint the module with some spray paint and put a piece of rubber or fiber between the frame and the module for isolation.
coborn35 (12-29-2014)
Old 12-28-2014, 11:50 PM

Received 63 Likes on 60 Posts

x2 on joe. I have a bit of a rough idle (not shaking though) with no codes, and it hasn't gotten any worse. Exact same truck, 05 F150, 190,000 km.
Agree with the FPDM, very similar to what I did. If the FPDM is ok, you can probably prevent the issue possibly. I added spacers between the bolts (which I believe the new ones come with) but I'd do similar to what joe has wrote.

Also keep in mind the spark plugs... as in being known to bust off. Being an 05, it's extremely likely to happen. There's a lot of posts on here about that as well.
coborn35 (12-29-2014)
Old 12-29-2014, 12:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for all the help so far guys! I'm not attached to the CAI, came with the truck. I assume installing the stock one is mostly just unbolting the CAI and re-bolting the new tubing and air filter case? I remember having to take off the air filter case and tubing (lack of correct term) when I replaced the distributor on my Silverado. That was pretty straightforward. I don't think getting cold air will be a problem for the next 5 months

I am aware of the spark plug issue and know a reputable shop that is certified to do this specific work on these engines. Is this something I should be thinking about now or wait until the 100,000 mile tuneup?
Old 12-29-2014, 12:58 AM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

I would do the plugs as soon as you can. This way you'll have a better chance of them not breaking. Have the shop put some nickel anti-seize on the new ones, and you won't have to worry about it next time the plugs are changed.

Feeling every bump on the road can be a couple of things. The shocks/struts were alread mentioned. Also what tires you're running can play a major role. A tire with a thick sidewall ( like most all-terrain's) will be stiffer (therefore bumpier) than a highway tire. Over inflating a tire will have the same effect.

Although I also prefer the stock intake, you're not going to be better off by getting rid of the CAI and going back to stock, but it's not doing anything for you. The stock intake pulls air from inner fender, so it's naturally a cold air intake anyway. The main disadvantage to an aftermarket oiled filter is that people over oil filter, and that gunks up the throttle body, mass airflow sensor, and intake. I'm not sure about the air raid set up, but the stock set up has one bolt. It's very simple.

My personal opinion on the phaser diesel noise is to fix it as soon as you can. Not because of the phasers, but because of why they failed. Most of the time, one (or both) of the timing chain tensioners gaskets failed causing lower oil pressure. It's the lower oil pressure that I don't like.

I agree with everyone about the FPDM.
coborn35 (12-29-2014)

Quick Reply: Questions about my 05 FX4