Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

question on Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 08:39 PM

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Default question on Noise

OK, I know the cam phaser issue has been beat to death on this forum and everywhere else on the internet. My 05 ticks, so I figured I'd unplug a VCT solenoid tonight and see if the noise changed. Unplugged passenger side, no change in noise. MY question is, if the cam phasers were shot, wouldn't the noise be coming from the front of the motor, like under the valve covers? Because with my head stuck right up to them and the truck running I only hear fuel injectors, engine is super quiet at the front. The tick noise I hear down under the truck.

I'm feeling relieved because I think maybe its an exhaust leak since the top/front of the engine is silent. Not sure how I can confirm an exhaust leak though, can't pinpoint it to either right or left side wheel well, i'm assuming the headers meet in the middle of the truck/back/bottom of the motor, as this is where i'm hearing the noise.

Drove 150 miles today up into the mountains, not a hiccup. No hesitation when downshifting out of OD or anything. The tick noise gets a little louder (I think) under harder accelleration but its hard to hear it inside the truck. Again, the front of the motor is SILENT (accept for the injectors). Sound like exhaust to you guys? I guess I could take a video, maybe my hearing aint what it used to be. I just want to confirm if the phasers were bad, the noise should be right up top on the front of the motor right???
Old 01-20-2013, 09:09 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I had an 05 before my 08, and the injectors were LOUD in it. It's possible it could be an exhaust leak, phasers make it idle like a powerstroke diesel, and will rattle loudly under load. So it doesn't from what your saying, sound like that. If it runs fine, let it be......keep on truckin'.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:18 PM

yah, idles just fine other than the noise coming from underneath. So phasers/VCT noise would be up top at the front of the motor right? No chance that would cause noise to be louder from under the truck? Its not a knock, so I doubt its bottom end noise. If it weren't so freaking cold (a high of 11 in the sun today!) I would crawl under for further investigation but for now it will sit in the garage. Trying to run all my techron through it before adding mystery oil to the engine oil when I swap filters this week.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:53 PM

I took a video today. Truck is warmed up. What do you think, exhaust leak, bad converter, or engine? Notice it is loudest under the truck......

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature...e_gdata_player

Last edited by 1stTruckGuy; 01-21-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:29 PM

Received 190 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by 1stTruckGuy
I took a video today. Truck is warmed up. What do you think, exhaust leak, bad converter, or engine? Notice it is loudest under the truck......

http://db.tt/nXgCRDSq
Sounds the same (just a little louder) than mine and i was told mine was phaser noise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQtF...e_gdata_player
Old 01-21-2013, 05:38 PM

Not quite the same sound, I took that video with full temp (halfway on the gauge) and can only hear it on camera from under the truck, nothing is heard from the engine bay. I'm pretty sure the camera phaser noise is heard ag the valve cover since that's where the phaser is located.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:21 PM

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 1stTruckGuy
Not quite the same sound, I took that video with full temp (halfway on the gauge) and can only hear it on camera from under the truck, nothing is heard from the engine bay. I'm pretty sure the camera phaser noise is heard ag the valve cover since that's where the phaser is located.
Sounds like the noise my truck made. It was the phaser on the passengers side. It made no difference if the VCT solenoid was unplugged. Two of the roll pins that hold the pickup wheel on the phaser were gone. There appears to be several failure modes and failure sounds associated with the phasers. I replaced both phasers and the timing set, now mine sounds more like the noise you hear at the top of your motor (injectors and light diesel noise from phasers).
Old 01-22-2013, 10:04 AM

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Take a long screwdriver or a piece of pipe and press it against the top of the valve cover at the phaser and see if you hear the same sound. Also If you turn the oil fill tube it will come out of the cover and you can see the phaser, turn the engine over by hand and see if the pickup wheel looks uneven with the gear? Mine had two of the pins gone but looked fine.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can a cam phaser go bad in a year and a half? 15k miles?
I had mine replaced by ford just under 60 k and I have this noise again. But it is very light sounding. No where as loud as these two videos.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My truck just started doing the same thing. Ever figure out what it was?

Quick Reply: question on Noise