Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

question i want a tac!

Old 04-01-2009, 12:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question i want a tac!

ok i want a tac so i can run lower rpms to see what im running when
side note all of you that are complaining about mpg park the truck and get a car or deal with the fact that we drive trucks because we love them who cares about mileage??
besides alot of you already have tuners dont some of those have performance towing and economy? that would help alot!
ok back to my tac i was wondering if i took out my speedometer and got one with a tac if itd work or not and if not how hard are the after market ones to install?
Old 04-01-2009, 01:08 AM

Received 199 Likes on 94 Posts

Default I use my tach often

Originally Posted by cody ryan
side note all of you that are complaining about mpg park the truck and get a car or deal with the fact that we drive trucks because we love them who cares about mileage??
?

Hey Cody,
Most people should research before doing Mods Like big tires, gear change, lift kits etc.

My fuel miliage is better than I expected. I wanted my truck lifted. I wanted my truck to run stronger.
I wanted my truck to be heard by me!!!!!
Some times I don't have time to look at my tach. But I know what over reving sounds like.

And if I want to drive a car I have my 2008 Ford Edge AWD a strong 300hp 20" wheel W/exhaust,intake,SCT programmer. Both vehicles are fun ... fun ...fun!

Old 04-01-2009, 01:22 AM

what year is your truck? 04-05 gauge clusters (all models) are compatible. at least that is what my local dealers service tech told me. 06-08 can be swapped out too. i have an 07 lariat gauge that i need to get rid of because it doesnt work right with my truck. the only thing with it is you wont be able to se the trip meter because the lariat models are controlled different and the mileage wont match yours.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:25 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by bigchief2472000
what year is your truck? 04-05 gauge clusters (all models) are compatible. at least that is what my local dealers service tech told me. 06-08 can be swapped out too. i have an 07 lariat gauge that i need to get rid of because it doesnt work right with my truck. the only thing with it is you wont be able to se the trip meter because the lariat models are controlled different and the mileage wont match yours.

Your AC will not work with the Lariat cluster if your truck has the "manual" AC controls. Lariat and King Ranch models have the "auto climate control" function, and that unit routes through to the cluster because the inside cabin temp is displayed the display box of the Lariat/King Ranch clusters. When you press the AC "dash button" on manual climate equipped trucks, the tiny orange lamp comes on in that button, but the AC clutch will not cycle on; the Lariat and King Ranch clusters have a circuit that "reads the interior temp, and prevents the AC clutch from operating.

I'm in the middle of finding this circuit so I can figure out how to disable it; then a Lariat/King Ranch cluster could be used in a "manual" AC control truck.

Bottome line: Only Lariat and King Ranch can use Lariat and King ranch clusters. The other model Ford trucks made from 2005 to 2008 can swap clusters. Use an XLT or FX2/FX4 cluster with a tach in any model that does not have a tach (don't use a Lariat or King Ranch). You'll have your tach and everything else works as well.

I did a huge writeup on what clusters are swappable in what models. If you would have done a search, you would have found it easily; the post was added and edited about 3 weeks ago. I'll do it for you....here it is:

https://www.f150forum.com/showthread...hlight=cluster

Read the entire thread. It will answer your cluster questions.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 04-01-2009 at 06:40 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:27 AM
cwcw

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cody ryan
ok i want a tac so i can run lower rpms to see what im running when
besides alot of you already have tuners dont some of those have performance towing and economy? that would help alot!
ok back to my tac i was wondering if i took out my speedometer and got one with a tac if itd work or not and if not how hard are the after market ones to install?
Just keep your gas pedal off of the floor board and you wont have to worry about rpms. I have a tac on the display of my XLT, but i dont watch it.....I keep my eyes on the road instead. Its safer that way, trust me.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:31 AM
cwcw

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

And believe me Cody, im tired of hearing people gripe about trying to get better gas mileage in their truck also. Its kinda crazy. I wasnt even thinking about gas mileage when i bought my truck. I knew that if i needed to pull trailers and my boat i wasnt gonna be worrying about mpg. If you want good gas mileage, buy a Honda Civic, if you want a truck, just pay the gas bill and dont gripe. haha. Thats my motto.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:43 AM

I asked the dealer about it too and they told me it would be a major pain in the ***, too much $ if you don't have a tac to begin with.

Last edited by brub27; 04-01-2009 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:32 PM

Received 199 Likes on 94 Posts

Default Tac and Gas Miliage

Have you called the dealer and talked to a shop forman about what might work. Not the parts guy, nor the service advisor. When you find out then start calling the wrecking yards. or shop for used online.

On this gas miliage 16 mpg on the freeway with a lifted, big tired, V8, 4x4 is great for me. 13 mpg for stop and go mixed driving is normal for what I drive. I have exactly what I expected "A 4x4 truck"
Aren't I getting good gas miliage? Hmm! Maybe I should have bought a Honda Civic to cruise the desert and to pull my trailers. OOps!

"LOL" Just kidding LOVE MY TRUCK
Old 04-01-2009, 01:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brub27
I asked the dealer about it too and they told me it would be a major pain in the ***, too much $ if you don't have a tac to begin with.

They were wrong. Find a cluster out of a xlt, and put it in. If you want the miles to be right, that would be the expensive part because you'd have to take it to the stealer...
Old 04-01-2009, 11:53 PM

hey i dont have an exhaust its all stock and is way quiet!! steal my muffler if will please!!
i have an 04 and bucko your the man thank you!
im normally not on the gas to much so i dont have to fill it up twice a week!! haha
im just glad im not the only one tiered of hearing ppl complain about mileage i check mine all the time but i mean 13 is better then 10 theres no way im going forien!! hondas are made here but everything is imported so no. plus hondas are like the ****** of the auto industy they take what you give them like a b@$#%. if i had a car id have to many tickets and lose my lisence.
i normally dont go through the dealer ship unless i have too to much money and my warrentys up.
ok so itll be really expensive to put it on the instroment panel so what if i wnt after market? how hard would it be?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: question i want a tac!