Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

question on headers

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 05:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question on headers

Okay just a few quick questions.

1. what are headers and what do they do?

2. are they worth it?(seem kinda pricy to me)

I have a '06 f150 4.6L with a 40 series flowmaster dual exhaust and I just recently purchased a k&n air filter. I want to do some more upgrades and was just wondering what other options I have besides a CAI or tuner/chip. Thx for help
Old 06-16-2009, 07:07 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Pipinui
Okay just a few quick questions.

1. what are headers and what do they do?

2. are they worth it?(seem kinda pricy to me)

I have a '06 f150 4.6L with a 40 series flowmaster dual exhaust and I just recently purchased a k&n air filter. I want to do some more upgrades and was just wondering what other options I have besides a CAI or tuner/chip. Thx for help
Headers "equalize" the exhaust pressure in all cylinders. If you look at a set of headers, you will note that each cylinders exhaust port has it's own tube, and each tube is the same length as the other cyniders within that side (head). By equalizing the exhaust pressures, the cylinders are better "scavanged" (cleaned of burnt gasses), which allows for a clean fill of gas entering the cylinder. The outcome of this is extra HP and torque.

There are "shorty" and "long" headers. The shortie headers are easy to install, but not as effective as the conventional long tube headers. I see shorty headers as a better replacement for stock headers if a stock exhaust manifold develops a crack, but not for much else for the money they may cost. You won't see large gains in HP or torque with shory headers. If you plan to install headers, go with the long tube style. They can be a slight PITA to install; be prepared for a trip to the welding shop/muffler shop to have the collectors welded to your exhaust system once the long tube headers are installed.

If it were my money, I'd go with a CIA and tuner next, then perhaps consider the headers if you have money burning a hole in your wallet.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:58 AM

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

^^X2
Old 06-16-2009, 12:17 PM

Default Additional Header Questions

I have additional questions about headers. If you're looking online and they don't say shorty is it safe to say they're long. And I remember seeing things about header tape but I think that was for racing performance. I was told that the tape is for heat. In a vehicle going down city streets is heat still a factor, meaning would I still need header tape? What could happen if I don't have it?
Old 06-16-2009, 12:23 PM

shorties look just like the stock manifold as far as length wise, but they have individual tubes from each cylinder, long tubes wil be long enough to go from the engine bay down to the flanges maybe even the cats, as far as tape you really wont need to worry bout that, more of a race car thing and wont provide much for the money in your situation
Old 06-16-2009, 12:31 PM

Thank you for clearing that up.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:33 PM

no problem
Old 06-16-2009, 12:58 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Header or exhaust tape is used to confine the heat of the exhaust to within the tube. This assists in exhaust flow, as well as helping keep under hood temps down.

As to your question on if an advertisement of headers is a shorty or not, when in doubt, call the manufacturer or parts distributor. Just about all shorty headers I've seen for sale advertise them as such, but a phone call will confirm.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:09 PM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

And the price will be vastly different. Long tubes are $$$
Old 06-18-2009, 06:46 PM

I got quotes for almost 4 hundo for SS and a lil over 5 for ceramic...these are longtubes on 05 5.4, is this normal price, where are all the deals at if any?

Quick Reply: question on headers