Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Question for anyone with HID's

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 09:16 PM
Combat Trucker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arrow Question for anyone with HID's

I just got mine installed today and i just got to take it for a test drive while its dark. I went to turn the high beams on and everything turned off. Isn't the H13/9008 a high and low beam bulb? Does anyone else have this problem or did I just get a rip-off kit?
Old 04-28-2009, 07:52 AM
The LED Man

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rainman
I just got mine installed today and i just got to take it for a test drive while its dark. I went to turn the high beams on and everything turned off. Isn't the H13/9008 a high and low beam bulb? Does anyone else have this problem or did I just get a rip-off kit?

If your HID kit is not bi-xenon you won't have high beam functionality. This is a big selling point with HID's, and a set of bi-xenons cost more. So you would know if they were.

If they are bi-xenon, then I would check the install.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:39 AM

+1 you have to get the bi-xenon kit. also check your grounds.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rainman
Hey brother no you didnt get ripped off,lol.Very true you have to install the bi-xnenon kit.At first i only did the high beam kit and everything turned off like your describing,then i was also told by a guy who had the same problem and the ordered the bi kit and it worked then.

x2 on checking the ground bro.

let us know how it works/worked out for ya
Old 04-28-2009, 11:34 AM
2020 Sport

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

My local shop sells the basic HID kits for $150 but the bi-xnenon kit runs $200. As they explained it to me, the bi-xnenon kit extracts and protrudes in and out when high beams are activated.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:49 PM
Combat Trucker

i paid $190 for my kit and they dont move in and out. i always thought it was 2 filaments inside the bulb. would i have to get a whole new kit or can i buy an upgrade to get the high beams?
Old 04-28-2009, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Received 1,683 Likes on 588 Posts

You are correct in thinking that a dual bulb has two filaments but HID does not use filaments. A ballast receives an electrical charge from the vehicle when you turn on your headlights. The ballast then sends that energy (slightly amplified) to the bulb wich ignites Xenon gas inside the bulb. Once the bulb is fired and the gas warms up, the ballast uses 1/3 less power than the stock headlight bulb.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Received 1,683 Likes on 588 Posts

As for the high beams being added... You may have to buy a whole new kit. One thing to check into thru the shop that sold you the kit is if you can "trade in" your stock HID low beam bulbs to get the BI-Xenon bulbs since you didn't know (they should have told you) that you would lose high beam functionality- wich ironically is a state inspection requirement to have in order to pass. The question though is if the ballast in that kit you bought has the ability to run with a bi-xenon set up.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:46 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

The HID kit I bought has HID low beams and conventional (filiment) high beams. Since I do mostly city type driving, I did not see the need to go the extra dollars and buy HID high beams as well.

The kit I bought off of Ebay was very EXPLICIT on the HID low/filiment high in their description. The ad also mentioned an additional price for a different ballast and HID bulb that would be needed if you wanted both low and high beam HID's.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:52 AM
The LED Man

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A new ballast is definitely needed for bi-xenon. I highly doubt you have a bi-xenon capable ballast if you only have single HID's, as that's where most of the increase in cost comes from when looking at single versus bi-xenon.

Quick Reply: Question for anyone with HID's